What's new

Replacing DVD drive - Toshiba RD-XS32 (1 Viewer)

Rick P.

Stunt Coordinator
My XS32 has got to the point now that I can't watch any DVDs on it anymore. I always get a 'Check the disc - it may be physically damaged' error whenever it tries to change layers. Needles to say, seeing this message after you've watched more than half of the movie is very frustrating. Single-layer discs play fine, and it still records to DVDs fine since it only writes on one layer.

Before I pull the unit from my rack and tear it apart, has anyone changed the DVD drive in one of these units before? Can I just pop a new one in there or has Toshiba done something to the one that's in there or set specific parameters in the firmware so simple replacement won't work.

Thanks,

Rick

Rick P.

Stunt Coordinator
Answering my own post (for anyone else who finds themself in the same boat), the LG GSA-H10N works well. It cost me less than $35 and took about 30 minutes to replace.

Rick

Eric Scott

Second Unit
Rick, you can take a look at my plea above yours; My DVD won't stop loading.

It's possible that Toshshiba tech can rehabilitate your player...?

1-866-583-7353

Rick P.

Stunt Coordinator
No need. The LG is a computer DVD-RAM drive. I removed the OEM Toshiba (rebadged LG) drive built into the XS32 and installed the GSA-H10N in its place. Works fine and loads very quickly versus the original.

I must say that although I have a bunch of Toshiba equipment I haven't found their North American tech support to be of much use. Without looking I'd bet that the firmware update they're going to send you (from your other post) can be downloaded from Toshiba's German website. That's where I found the firmware update for my XS32 which, according to both Toshiba US and Toshiba Canada, doesn't exist.

Rick

Rickum

Auditioning
Real Name
Rick Miller
Hi Rick, i know your post is from 6 years ago but I also have a Toshiba RD-XS32SU recorder that works sometimes but other times displays the "bad disc" error. I know the LG GSA-H10N looks to be obsolete. Do you know of any other newer replacements? Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks