1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Replacement universal remote for receiver

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by themow, Feb 15, 2012.

1. themow

themow Member

I have a pioneer VSX26-TX and I need a remote. Pioneer wants tons of money for the remote model #axd7212 and I might as well buy a new receiver considering its age. Im wondering if I can use any type of universal remote that will enable me get through the menus etc of the receiver.

2. Adam Gregorich

Owner

Adam

John-

While I can't speak for that specific model, I have used universal remotes on LOTS of Pioneer gear (including receivers) in the past without any problems. You will just need to decide if you want a super basic universal remote, or if its time to step up to a Harmony or similar easy to use Universal remote to make it easier to use your entire system. Since you are going to do it, I would do it right. Then again if you don't have HDMI switching and having a universal remote isn't a priority you may want to look at stepping up to a newer receiver.

3. JohnRice

JohnRice Well-Known Member

John
    I have that same receiver (no, I won't sell you the remote) and I doubt you will find a fully functional universal model anywhere short of a Harmony One, but at least you can use that if you upgrade.

4. gene c

gene c Well-Known Member

Gene
    I checked a couple of places last night and they were both $128. For my 23txh I'm using a remote from an old 1014 that I bought on ebay for $28. Good for everday use but it doesn't control everything It's good for power on/off, volume menu/setup and surround modes, among other things. But it doesn't work for the MCACC presets or Audio/Video Parameters. I bet a remote from a slightly newer receiver would control most everything on the vsx-26. Their plentifull on ebay. Just keep looking.

5. themow

themow Member

I programmed my comcast remote to control power and volume and thats all I need. I only use it for stereo anyway. Its now having that famous dsp board issue that many of these units had. I do want a new rec with HDMI switching but Im very used to the sound quality from this unit and I know that a new receiver is going to be pricey if im looking for that type of quality.