What's new

Replacement for Sony STR-DH500 (1 Viewer)

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
Okay, I really like the Sony for starters. My problem is that two of my inputs buzz no matter what I put in them, left channel only. They are dedicated audio inputs, so I know I'm hooking them in the right place. I've tried various components in those spots and have even swapped cables. Same buzz. Two inputs work like a charm and I have my cassette deck and turntable (via pre-amp) hooked into the good ones. My first question is this: is there a big difference between 5.1 and 7.1? I'm not much of a movie guy though I will watch them once in a while, but even then, they're probably going to be older movies that weren't mixed for 7.1. I mainly use it to either listen to music or to watch TV programs that weren't mixed for 7.1 and may even possibly be mono. I do want to keep the 5.1 capability at least, though. Here's my setup I would be using speaker wise: Two Sony PS417 speakers for the l/r front Yamaha YST-SW012 subwoofer Sony S104CRY for the center channel (I also have two more of these if I went to a 7.1) Two Marantz SP208 speakers for the l/r back (currently not installed but going to use them either way) I'm currently using my main computer as a music server (I own tons of LP's, cassettes, 8-tracks and CD's which many of are on the computer now) and a separate computer (a Dell Mini-Duo) with an HDMI out for streaming Netflix and any YouTube videos I want to watch. I have an Onkyo cassette deck and Audio-Technica turntable hooked into the receiver along with my 55" LG TV via the optical out. I'm not worried about video outputs on a receiver as anything I need is hooked into the TV already, so that isn't a big deal. I'm more worried about sound quality. I'm looking for something in the $200-$300 range. I see a ton of options out there, but I don't know how they'll stack up against the Sony. I never found audio/video confusing before, but I do now! :confused: Thanks!

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
You do know any HDMI into your TV first...then sent back out the digital output is dumbed down to 2.0...(except for the internal tuner, that will be, the only thing 5.1)

Ron1973

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
schan1269 said:
You do know any HDMI into your TV first...then sent back out the digital output is dumbed down to 2.0...(except for the internal tuner, that will be, the only thing 5.1)
I don't have the two rear channels hooked up, but I've never experienced this any other time. I'm using a 3.1 with the two front and center plus sub. When watching a program mixed for 5.1 (Star Trek: TOS for instance) it gives dialogue in the center as would be normal and other stuff on the other two speakers. If it doesn't give me 5.1, then what's the use in having the optical input on the back? I've used it with other home theater systems and have gotten 5.1 without it going straight to the receiver.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I'd like to know what magical 55" LG TV this is that passes DD(by the way, I know of maybe 4 total TVs that pass DD...all of them prior to 2009) from incoming HDMI. (and if this passes DTS, this is the only TV anybody should ever buy to be "the hub")

Ron1973

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
schan1269 said:
I'd like to know what magical 55" LG TV this is that passes DD(by the way, I know of maybe 4 total TVs that pass DD...all of them prior to 2009) from incoming HDMI. (and if this passes DTS, this is the only TV anybody should ever buy to be "the hub")
I didn't come here for a smart-aleck attitude. I'm using an HDMI to the TV and a Toslink back out to the receiver. I don't mind advice but I do mind attitude.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I'm not being smart alleck... Merely pointing out a flaw in your set-up...to wit you respond with "but my TV sends out DD"... Anyway, when you do purchase your new-er AVR, run your sources into the AVR first and send only the HDMI to the TV. Keep the toslink from the TV to the AVR for ATSC/Network features. At $300, about the only 7.1 AVR are the Onkyo NR515 and Pioneer VSX 1022. And whether 7.1 is worth it over 5.1...that is a personal choice. However with the NR515 and 1022 you'll have the option of Height.

Ron1973

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
schan1269 said:
I'm not being smart alleck... Merely pointing out a flaw in your set-up...to wit you respond with "but my TV sends out DD"... Anyway, when you do purchase your new-er AVR, run your sources into the AVR first and send only the HDMI to the TV. Keep the toslink from the TV to the AVR for ATSC/Network features. At $300, about the only 7.1 AVR are the Onkyo NR515 and Pioneer VSX 1022. And whether 7.1 is worth it over 5.1...that is a personal choice. However with the NR515 and 1022 you'll have the option of Height.
Cool! I love Onkyo as that is what my cassette deck is and I've never had an issue. And if I can cut down on what's going to the TV, all the better.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks