What's new

Replace Front trio or B-4+ or Everest? (1 Viewer)

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Having now heard a Tumult based sub, I'd have to go with the Everest, or some variation of it. I've not seen or heard any driver capable of such clean output even out to it's limits. The Tumult is the real deal and if something like the Everest is too big I can think of other ways to use the Tumult that would still be something to be reckoned with. Maybe dual Tumults, sealed, on opposing faces with some real power and an LT circuit comes to mind. What do you think, Jack? :)

A

Anthony_Gomez

one thing that hasn't been considered is XBL2 vs non-XBL2. In my experience (and of others) XBL2 offered extremely low distortion with low frequency notes.

The only way to put it is: with "conventional drivers" you hear AND feel the really low stuff, but with XBL2, you just feel it and DON'T hear the distortion.

Some people will miss the added distortion (it does add some "excitement"), others will welcome it's absence. One thing is certain. If you try cranking a note that you aren't supposed to hear (lack of distortion) but only feel, buy the time you start to hear it, you can kiss your driver goodbye ;)

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
SVS (and our *non-xbl*) drivers and subwoofer designs have been documented to be very low distortion products by several industry professionals in the field. An alternative may also (eventually) be documented as being very low distortion too...but that doesn't mean it should be implied any subwoofer design without this technology will have distortion problems.

Tom V.
SVS

A

Anthony_Gomez

that doesn't mean it should be implied any subwoofer design without this technology will have distortion problems
all I am saying is that with my experience with numerous subs (both owned and auditioned), nothing comes close to touching the lack of distortion that I have experienced.

Robert_Gaither

Screenwriter
Distortion is only going to come into play at the loudest of volumes and it seems to me that all these subs for the room given can easily be played such that most likely that rooms added harmonics (assuming the room involved isn't reinforced and treated) will come into and add to the effect before any distortion that will be present by any of these subs (I have yet to be in a room where the objects in a room and the room itself didn't color the sound after you start reaching about 110+ db). Personally to me I think these subs will kill most homes, most neighbors relationships, and easily overpower the room they will be present in and it's going to be a personal choice that can only be made by the buyer of such products.

Scott Oliver

Screenwriter
Steve,

My vote goes for upgrading your center and mains as the dealer suggested to you. You have two very capable subs, and while one of these other subs might be an upgrade, I think you would gain more with an upgrade of your fronts. Not only potential of better mid-bass, and low-bass but perhaps gains in other audiophile approved areas.

BTW, Where the heck are you finding information on the VR-4 Jr.s and LCR 40, through your dealer?

JimmyK

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim
I know the designers want to sell there product and will push in that direction
My experience with SVS (we exchanged many e-mails over a period of a year before I bought) was that at NO time did I ever feel they were "pushing" me in any direction. They even offered to help me find a non SVS sub if I decided to buy locally.

JimmyK

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks