What's new

Repairing AC Power Cord - damaged by rabbit (1 Viewer)

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter
Yes, another "Pet destroys HT" thread....

We have a psycho-Monty-Python-killer rabbit that we occasionally let out of it's cage to run in circles at 90mph+. While I have the rear of the entertainment center blocked off, this varmint managed to mock me and crawl behind. It immediately snacked on the power cord to the 35" Sony TV. While I'm amazed this bugger is still alive, I am now tasked with repairing the AC cord which was cut clean through.

My electronic repair skills are nill, so I'm looking for tips. Should I strip the cable and solder back together or use a butt connector ? Any other methods ?

Thanks for any insights.

Jeremy Brown

Agent
As I used to have a cat that would chew every wire she could get her teeth onto, I have some experience in this department. Typically, I didn't bother soldering the cables back together, as it wasn't worth it in the long run. Most of the time, I just cut the wire, stripped back the ends, twisted the correct wires together (striped to striped), and electric taped them nicely. For things like TVs and stereos, they aren't typically drawing too much current, so you don't need to worry too much about a pristine connection. Ideally, you would solder it, but it's not really necessary.

Good luck.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
IANAE but were it me I'd either strip the wires and wirenut them together, then tape. Or take the tv apart (is it a CRT? be extremely careful n stuff) and replace the cord with a new one depending on how it's attached to the tv. That way there's no connection laying out on the floor to come apart or get chewed on :)

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter
Thanks folks - stripped and butt connected them (that doesn't seem right...), then taped around the connectors. Seems to work great !

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks