What's new

Remo Williams DVD - MGM screws up BIG TIME! (1 Viewer)

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I wish we could get a representative from MGM on here to give us the reason for releasing this film FS. It makes no sense to me. This film has a small following (I remember showing this film when it first came out, and it tanked at the theater), and they are only alienating the ones who would purchase this film.
I know I will NOT be buying this one. Thanks MGM, looks like Fox and Paramount will be getting my hard earned ducats!

Jacinto

Second Unit
Real Name
Jacinto
Son of a bitch must pay!

This was easily my most anticipated catalog release for this summer. My brother and I absolutely loved this flick in the theater, and I was planning on preordering him a copy for his birthday in July. Now the brilliance of this film will not be passed down to the next generation: both his kids and my kids won't enjoy this one until it's released in its OAR. At least I still have my memory...

Thanks MGM.

Matthew Brown

Supporting Actor
I would have picked this one up if it wasn't fullscreen.

That's just more money to buy DVD's from any other company but MGM.

Matt

Jeremy Anderson

Screenwriter
NO NO NO!!!! ARGH! I have been looking forward to this title since the first hint that it might get released to DVD! Do us a favor, MGM... if you're not going to release it in its original aspect ratio, don't bother releasing it at all. Its existance will only serve to anger those of us for whom the movie is a cult classic.

And I had such high hopes after the fine treatment Buckaroo Banzai received. :angry: ANOTHER LOST SALE!

J

John Ford

ARRGH!!! I hate it when studios do this to my guilty pleasures. First there was "The Shadow" and now "Remo Williams". Who are these people and why are they allowed to breed.
johnf:angry: :angry: :angry:

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
No sale here.

While not as big a fan as some here, it was a fun little flick that I was looking forward to picking up. Not anymore.

Seems like a massive failure of MGM's market research to me. They obviously don't know their audience.

I agree, this is indeed a big letdown. This is one of my HBO favorites that I watched over and over when I was younger. Now the DVD finally arrives...and...FULL FRAME? FULL FRAME? Leave it to MGM to screw it up. MGM certainly does not stand for "Means Great Movies" in my book. They consistently screw things up. This is no exception.

Joe Schwartz

Second Unit
I already registered my displeasure about this decision on MGM's website a few months ago, but I'll add my comments here. I've been waiting for Remo on DVD for years, but there's no way I'll consider buying it in full screen.

Nathan McMahan

Stunt Coordinator
Was the laserdisc widescreen? or is there a widesscreen DVD in another region?

Oh yeah.

Hey MGM.
Bite my shorts!
Morons......:rolleyes

Greg_D_R

Stunt Coordinator
When will MGM realize that catalog titles are NOT for the Joe Six-
Pack demographic? This is insane, and it's the same &%#@ they did to Miracle Mile, only that is an even worse offense, because they decided not to use an existing widescreen transfer on "a whim of the marketing department!" Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that MGM was actually in business to MAKE money!

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
MGM, in the words of Cheun "You move like a babboon...with two clubbed feet!"

You know Cheun don't you, he's one of the characters in the film you just fucked up.

No sale. :angry:

Steve_Knutzen

Screenwriter
While I'm as big a fan of the film as a lot of you are, any movie released deserves to be in its OAR. There is no excuse for a full frame transfer of any movie no matter what it is. Movies like Remo Williams are what true movie lovers like everybody here wait patiently for to be released. It is by no means a family title and there are few non-fans that would pick this up without any knowledge of what it is, save for those that get it recommended or J6Ps that see the word "Adventure" in the title. :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: to MGM for screwing over fans.

Beware MGM. You have incurred the rath of Ron Epstein and the HTF. Watch your back.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
What I don't get is why are they so dammed inconsistant!? I mean they make one catalog title OAR, another FOOLSCREEN and then back again.

I don't have Child's Play because they chose to make it FOOLSCREEN only, but then they turn around and do a really great OAR transfer for The Terminator!? (thank God) :confused:

They also screwed up another of my favorite horror films Pumpkinhead by making it FOOLSCREEN only.

I just thank goodness that Return of the Living Dead is in it's OAR! I guess it was widescreens turn in the rotation with that one. Lucky us. :rolleyes

It seems that the only titles they really give the royal treatment to is the James Bond series, probably because those films are MGM's bread and butter franchise, everything else I guess doesn't really matter. :rolleyes

They are one schitzo studio that's for certain!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks