What's new

Remastered Star Trek films anytime soon? (1 Viewer)

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
paramount cbs is 2cheap2do that. just as they've been doing with TOS remasters, they won't spend the $ on HD-res. they're probably just going to uprez is like firefly (from another studio of course) for Universal HD broadcast.

bastards!!!

Jeff Robertson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff Robertson
The Original Series is being broadcast on NBC in HD with new CGI in some scenes. Check your TV listings.

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member

Actually, NBC has nothing to do with it. It's being syndicated to whatever stations that want to buy it.

Rolando

Screenwriter

what, what, what?!

You mean Star Trek the original series? in HD? I hope it's true but most of all I hope it did not get cropped to 16:9.

Jeff Robertson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff Robertson
The content is pillar-boxed, but the horizontal resolution (1080i in the case of my local NBC station) is there. No, it is not cropped to 16x9.

Jay Pennington

Screenwriter

Well, it can't be expected to look like the other films. It was shot with dark moody lighting and seemingly a cheaper film stock. (It was, after all, produced by the television division, with a budget to match.)

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
that's exactly the problem with it. they still treat it as TV. *sigh*.

aaanyway, re: TOS broadcast in HD. i need proof. my local NBC flicks HD on and off during popular primetime shows like Friday Night Lights and The Office so much that i wrote a complaint to management at my local broadcast. haven't heard back yet. lots of changes over there@NBC.

meanwhile, i doubt your NBC is broadcast TOS in HD. please snap a shot w/camera for proof. there are a lot of SD contents being shown in "hd" when it's really still SD upscaled.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
JediFonger- As Travis pointed out, there is a thread that discusses the new Star Trek remasters.

A quick overview: Essentially, CBS Paramount did not skimp, there are HD revs of each episode they've remastered. The new effects are done in both 16:9 and 4:3 so they've convered themselves for future HD formats. These were meant to be broadcast at the outset in HD. However, due to issues with the way Paramount is distributing the show to stations, the HD versions could not be stored. In the end, the stations could handle the SD versions, so that's what we see now. The stations really wanted the HD versions, they desperately want new HD material. So in the meantime, we have to wait until the stations and CBS Paramount figure out how to get the HD versions to the stations.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
tos in 16:9 that's sacrilege. i have been reading up on the TOS thread, i see no HD caps on there. 1080i true/raw screengrabs are 2-4MB each (png) and 720p is 1MB+. tiny jpg aren't proof.

Matt Czyz

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matt Czyz
Seriously, nobody here is trying to fool you. Not sure why you don't believe any of this...:confused:

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Interesting development happening at Star Trek.com.

Not sure why, but they released a newly recorded audio commentary for Star Trek The Motion Picture on MP3 to be played in synch with the DE Star Trek The Motion Picture DVD. This was recorded June 2007. It features the restoration team: David C. Fein, Michael Matessino and Daren R. Dochterman. Obviously they talk about the effort that went into the Director's Edition. Hopefully this is a sign that the new HD or BD version is soon to come and I bet this will be on that disc. Here's a link to the commentary:

http://www.startrek.com/startrek/vie...e/2301143.html

It appears that CBS really cares about taking care of the Star Trek franchise.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
if they really cared, they would take all 10 trek films to DTS's LDI and give it a good wash+rinse clean.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate

Well, they care about keeping it for sale in new and different ways. Star Trek has long been a cash cow for Paramount, despite the fact that the studio has always treated it as bargain-basement sci-fi (and by that I mean that the budgets for the features have been small in comparison to contemporary genre films).

Still, TMP is a wonderful movie, especially visually, and I look forward to a high-def release someday -- once the format war is over and I feel confident enough to jump in.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart

LDI working on the post-VI films would be like hiring the team that restored the Sistine Chapel frescoes to repaint your living room ceiling. The money is better spent on films that actually require digital restoration, not movies made in the last decade.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
have you seen trek on SD DVD? paramount has no other franchise that requires as much care nor delicacy as trek. your analogy is only half correct because:
- ST generation on STCE is terribly over-sharpened! even the laserdisc looks better!
- FC, Ins, Nemesis look OK, but can be improved. look @that OTHER franchise and how it's been treated, the ENTIRE 20+ Bond films have been LDI remastered!!!! if mgm/sony can get that done, paramount can't get a mere 10 movies done?

that my friend, is how paramount treats their "royal" franchise, like a piece of crap that terkkies are expected to pay over and over again and again.

PS like many trekkies, i bought all 9 movies twice and TPM once. BOTH SE and non-SE versions had little discernible quality differences.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks