What's new

Remaining classic Ghost Story/Haunted House flicks not yet on Blu... (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Not many really great ones. What a delight it would be for whoever owns the rights to give is THE CHANGELING (1979)!Beyond that, I can't think of any truly great classics that, after this October, will not have been released on Blu-ray. That's pretty impressive! Here is what is currently available:THE INNOCENTS (gorgeous UK Blu, would be nice in Region 1, but doubtful)THE HAUNTINGTHE UNINVITEDPOLTERGEISTTHE LEGEND OF HELL HOUSE (again, UK)Region-free player owners are in good shape. Are you still teetering about purchasing a region-free Blu-ray player? Just the two U.K. titles above should tip the scales for you.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
THE CHANGELING scared the bejesus out of me. I still get creeps seeing a wheelchair. First day order here whenever it happens. THE INNOCENTS will also be welcomed and I do expect it next year possibly from Twilight.

t1g3r5fan

Reviewer
Real Name
Mychal Bowden
The Uninvited is coming out from Criterion in October, so that will be remedied in the near future. Here's some other spooky titles that Universal has that hasn't made the leap to Blu-ray, let alone DVD:

THE CAT AND THE CANARY (1927)
THE LAST WARNING (1929)
THE OLD DARK HOUSE (1932)
THE BLACK CAT (1934/1941)
MURDER BY THE CLOCK (1931)
SUPERNATURAL (1933) - released on VHS; directed by Victor Halperin of WHITE ZOMBIE fame
THE UNSEEN (1945) - a missed opportunity to include this "follow-up" to THE UNINVITED in the upcoming Criterion release
THE MAN IN HALF MOON STREET (1945) - remade as The Man Who Could Cheat Death (1959); never released on any home video format

There are plenty more I sure, but those are a few that I could think of that fit into this vein.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
t1g3r5fan said:
The Uninvited is coming out from Criterion in October, so that will be remedied in the near future. Here's some other spooky titles that Universal has that hasn't made the leap to Blu-ray, let alone DVD:

THE CAT AND THE CANARY (1927)
THE LAST WARNING (1929)
THE OLD DARK HOUSE (1932)
THE BLACK CAT (1934/1941)
MURDER BY THE CLOCK (1931)
SUPERNATURAL (1933) - released on VHS; directed by Victor Halperin of WHITE ZOMBIE fame
THE UNSEEN (1945) - a missed opportunity to include this "follow-up" to THE UNINVITED in the upcoming Criterion release
THE MAN IN HALF MOON STREET (1945) - remade as The Man Who Could Cheat Death (1959); never released on any home video format

There are plenty more I sure, but those are a few that I could think of that fit into this vein.
Great list.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
A couple of comedy gems:

The Ghost Breakers (1940) Maybe this could be part of a Bob Hope at Paramount comedy box set.

What A Carve Up! (1961), with Sid James & Kenneth Connor. A great comedy, maybe it could be part of a British 50's & early 60's b/w comedy box, just so many great movies there & none of them on Blu-ray.

They both have their scary moments, esp. The Ghost Breakers, the zombie in the haunted chateau is as chilling as anything that came out of Universal.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Now that someone's reminded me of it, what IS up with The Reincarnation of Peter Proud? Why has there never been a DVD release?

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Doesn't Kino still hold the rights to OLD DARK HOUSE? If so, we might get it.Re: GHOST STORY, that's a guilty pleasure film for me. Never cared for Craig Wasson, either in this or in BODY DOUBLE. Other than an awesome performance by Alice Krige, and a chilling score by Philippe Sarde, I didn't find it very satisfying, although the first half is often pretty creepy. The book is infinitely superior. Still, it is entertaining and I would buy it on Blu-ray for a low price.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
David Steigman said:
House on Haunted Hill, 13 Ghosts
Now, you're talking. Back in the day, my siblings and I used to stay up late at night watching those films without the lights on. I used to grab my sisters arms or legs just at the most scary time. They jumped and screamed every time.

John Morgan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
Dick said:
Doesn't Kino still hold the rights to OLD DARK HOUSE? If so, we might get it.
They may, but the really first-rate 35mm material is owned by Universal, although they have no rights to the film now, but they own the physical material. Kino would have to deal and probably pay something to Universal to license their superior materials. For me, that would be the only way to get a quality Blu-ray presentation.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
It's not quite a ghost story, but I'd love to see Alias Nick Beal again after all these years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks