What's new

Reliving Deep Space Nine on DVD... (1 Viewer)

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
I own all the DVD sets of Next Gen, DS9 & Voyager and I find myself watching episodes from Next Gen & Voyager. I have not watched a DS9 episode in at least a year & a half.

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
To counter that I have watched all of Voyager, Next Gen and DS9 and DS9 is the only series I have paid the extortionate price that Paramount asked for. By far and away the best series of Trek ever produced for me (and that includes the Original Series). And whilst most shows focus on the primary characters, this had one of the best ensembles of secondary characters of any major TV series I have seen - Garak, Kai Winn, Damarr, Weyoun, Female Changeling, Dukat, Nog and Rom (in later seasons), Vic, Molly O'Brien (kidding :) )

MarkHarrison

Supporting Actor
I need to stay out of this thread. It's making me want to watch the whole series again and I just don't have the time. I'm still trying to work my way through the new X-Files sets. :frowning:

Of course summer is coming up. That's an easy time to squeeze some more material in. :D

Sean Aaron

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean Aaron
I rewatched these last year on my portable DVD player on the way to work and on business trips and it was much different than watching them when I bought the DVD sets as they were originally released with gaps between the series.

It was interesting because I stopped watching the show after failing to see episode 3 of the three-part series one finale -- I was doing shift work and couldn't figure out how to get the VCR to work with my flatmate's cable tv setup and missed the repeat airings! Needless to say, my favourite Trek. TNG is also good, but the character arcs are so wonderful and Avery Brooks is absolutely brilliant as the messianic Starfleet Captain who eventually comes to terms with his role in an alien religion. Despite not being a spiritual person, the Bajoran religion's role in the shows really drew me and was unique to Star Trek.

I liked it so much that I wanted more and started buying the relaunch novels (starting with Robinson's "A Stitch in Time") and I'm totally hooked. The novellists have done a great job of fleshing out new characters as well as developing old favourites in interesting ways. Anyone who's wondered "what happens next?" might pick them up.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate

I think you are referring to the season 2 three-episode premiere arc.
Season 1's finale was a stand-alone episode (but what an episode -- it introduced Vedek - later to be Kai - Winn).

Jim Pattison

Stunt Coordinator
Inspired by this thread, I picked up all seven seasons of DS9 early in May, and have recently started watching season one.

Since I've never watched DS9 before, these are all new to me. Last night, I watched 'Progress' and 'If Wishes Were Horses'. These are the last 2 episodes on disc 4. On both, there were minor glitches - the picture would freeze or break up for a second, although the sound wasn't affected. This happened 3 times near the end of 'Progress', and maybe half a dozen times during 'If Wishes Were Horses'. The other two episodes on the disc were fine, as were all the episodes on the first three discs. I checked the disc and can see no sign of a scratch or any dirt, so I assume that it's a manufacturing defect.

Has anyone else noticed this on their DVD? It's pretty minor, so I'm not sure if it's worth the effort to return for a replacement, particularly if other copies might have the same problem.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Jim, it's been a while since I threw my discs in and I don't remember any problems with the way they played. However, do you have specific time codes in the show when they start to freeze up? I can check mine when I get home to see if either my memory is faulty or your discs. :)

Jim Pattison

Stunt Coordinator
Jason,

I'm at work myself right now. I'll post a reply later tonight (or just edit this one) with the times from the two episodes.

Thanks!

Update: Oops - I think this was a false alarm. I just checked the episodes in question on my Pioneer Elite DV-74AVi and noted glitches on 'Progress' at 38:51 and 44:15, and on 'If Wishes Were Horses' at 6:30 and 13:07. Then I put the disc in my older DVL-90 combination player, and they played just fine. So it looks like it's my player that needs adjusting, and not my discs...

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
Since getting the 7 season set in March, I've watched with an eagle eye for potential glitches, and I noticed a very slight break-up during "If Wishes were Horses"...during the episode credits (the 'written by' credit, specifically). The weird thing is, it occured on one DVD player but not my other one or my DVD ROM.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
In the same vein, I wrote up a list of "cosmic similarities" between B5 and DS9 a while back. It's about halfway down on my site:
http://home.att.net/~droboogie1/farbeyond.html

For the record, I am a fan of both shows, and I don't play favorites. To paraphrase Gene Roddenberry, who - when asked about the rivalry between Star Trek and Space: 1999 - said, "I think the fans are lucky they get to see both shows."

I think we're even luckier to have DS9 and B5 on DVD.

Tim Mauldin

Stunt Coordinator
I have TNG, DS9 and the first season of TOS on DVD. DS9 is only one that I have watched an entire season of more than once. Right now I'm watching the entire series on my small TV while using my exercise equipment. I'm on the second disc of Season 3, and things are just starting to heat up with the Dominion. This all works out well, I can lose weight hopefully, and watch some great Trek at the same time.

Jonathan_Clarke

Second Unit
I rediscovered DS9 last year on Netflix. I loved TOS and TNG and liked DS9 when it was on but I missed so many that I couldn't understand all the plot threads.

Watching every episode proved that it was the best written of all 5 shows. I'm watching them again on Spike and I still bought season 1 and season 4 when the price dropped.

The funny thing is when I finished DS9 I went to Enterprise which was fairly blah and then Voyager which is actually hard to watch. I'd rather watch DS9 all over again.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
I think of Morn as the official mascot of DS9.

Once you see him sitting at the bar, you know you're home.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks