What's new

Region free blu Ray player 3D recommendations (1 Viewer)

SEALDOC

Auditioning
Real Name
Peter
I'm an American currently living in South Africa: can anyone recommend a region free Blu Ray 3D player? Oppo 103 here priced at $1,100 PLUS 14% VAT!!

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Welcome to HTF, Peter!

That price for the Oppo does not even include the region mod kit, which runs another US$50. Can you get an Oppo cheaper from Amazon.com? That's where I got my BPD-93, I got the mod kit from eBay.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I saw this comment on the sellers listing:"It should be automatically region free. But to set the Blu-ray region to A, B or C, please do the following:"That implies you don't have to select the region, but he goes on to explain how to make the region selection. I've never seen a mod that didn't require a manual selection. What do you think?This guy only has 196 ratings but does have a high rating.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
From what I read, it has the same remote control procedure that my mod kit has. The DVD region code is automatically region 0, and the player is PAL-capable out of the box. The blu-ray A/B/C region settings require the remote control. I am pretty sure this is the same mod kit that I bought, although it is $20 cheaper.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I wired Ethernet directly so I could stop using the wifi dongle, and installed on the outside since I had the spare USB port. The player is still under warranty, so I decided not to open it up. But the internal install looks really simple.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
And I'm using the dongle, so I don't have the spare port. But it does look simple. think I'll order it.

I was surprised to see when I searched ebay, only this one and the "pro" version showed up.

SEALDOC

Auditioning
Real Name
Peter
Thanks to all for your responses. I've arranged to have a look at the 103 locally and I will decide then whether it is worth the $$. The HTF review would seem to recommend the unit for the quality of the video and sound processing alone so I will most probably spring for it. I suppose that this isn't the correct area of the forum to ask but... Being an "old codger" , I'm having the expected difficulty with conversational tones (dialog). My Yamaha RX-A1020 receiver allows a tweak setting but it really doesn't help that much. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated I

Ernest

Supporting Actor
Peter check 220 Electronics I previously purchased Toshiba and LG Region-Free Blu-ray players and they work great will play any DVD/Blu-Ray regardless of the Region-Code. They sell a wide variety of players at very reasonable prices. Neither of mine plays 3D because I have no use for the feature never will. I am strictly into Blu-Ray. 220 has an LG for $209 a Sharp for $239 and a Pioneer for $284 that all play 3D. Good luck.

Sumnernor

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sumner Northcutt
I just got a Region free BR.DVD plaver from 220 Electronics in Chicago and it so far works fine. I bought from them a modified LG BP325W. For BR I must with the remote push 1, 2,3 for A B C respectively with the player off. It works for A only and B only cases and I have a AB only case and many ABC cases. I am able to determine what codes work with some of my BR. For example I got from the US the "Mad Mad World" and the box states "A" but it is really ABC. In one funny case I received a BR from England that was B only of Kind Hearts & Coronerts and got an error message that I should use a "B" player. All my other B only discs worked. I called Chicago and was told how to correct it and now everything works. All my region 1 and 2 DVDs work fine My TV is not 3 D but I believe my player is. The picture quality is fine on my 31" LCD Loewe TV.

Camps

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tom
Bumping up this thread -- and forgive me if the question's been answered umpteen times elsewhere on the board... but I'm looking for:

- a 3D Blu-ray player

- that can play both blu-rays and regular DVDs from any region (or at least for which I can easily get a guide to unlock the codes...)

- a DVD-recording capability would be nice but not crucial

- price not such an object

Any recommendations?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks