What's new

Region-free BD owners... (1 Viewer)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I bought an Orei...which I have a thread for it, is a cheap BD player(as region free goes).

Is it a nature of "being hacked" that the players "brick" sometimes?

I've never had a region-free DVD player brick...but as far as I know...DVD players don't need a software hack in the way that BD has to have.

The original Orei would brick 60% of the time on shutdown. Everytime it bricked, all settings would be lost and I'd have to redo it. It also had picture issues.

My replacement is, so far, perfect. Looks better than the original one ever did(which the first one only "worked" perfect during the first few movies I tried. Its descent into crappy picture was so quick after the first few...that I started assuming the issues I saw were native to "being PAL to NTSC").

But...this one bricked once already on shutdown. But, this one kept all my settings...this time...
So far I've watched 12 discs in it. It bricked once. The original would have already bricked 7 times.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I queried Bombay about the "brick"...

They responded with...

"This can happen if the player runs out of memory playing certain discs."

Funny. My Panny BD35(2 of these), BD75 and Sony S350(albeit, none region free) have never bricked.

I would expect the brick to be during playback if it ran out of memory. Not after I'm done and shut it off...

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
What exactly do you mean by "bricking"? I thought "bricked" meant the same as "rendered useless". By "bricked", are you meaning it has reverted to its original settings?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
So far, this replacement has only done it the once. And it didn't lose the settings.

The prior one was just bad to begin with.

I watched The Seasoning House(decided not to wait on the US release). It hasn't bricked since I watched Mandy Lane.

But to answer the question...

Brick is when it would become non-responsive. Which, with it, was turning it off. Didn't make any difference if via the remote or button on it...or if it had a disc in it or not...or whether that disc was DVD or BD.

The new one bricked after playing Mandy Lane and turned it off with the disc in it. Hasn't bricked since with at least 8 BD and 6 DVD(all region free. I have an LG DN191 that is also "region free", except it doesn't like movies newer than 2012...)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks