What's new

region coding for BD not on catalog TITLES ? (1 Viewer)

MarekM

Supporting Actor
http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=413203

som interesting info hmm...........

=========================
"Region coding also reared its ugly head. It appears that new releases will be region coded and catalogue titles won’t, so it’s a game of Russian roulette for those of us that want to buy films from more than one region (I’ll return to this later). "

"Back to region coding. I was lucky enough to be given a few UK BD films – S.W.A..T and Ultraviolet (did I say lucky? Hmmm not so sure). Guess what, both of them play quite happily on my US Panasonic player, so it certainly looks as if some BD discs won’t have region coding on as Sony stated. This can only be a good thing, with the biggest problem being which titles will play. "
===========================

Marko Berg

Supporting Actor
That's what the studios said about SD DVD too, and look what happened: fifty-year old films are still being region-encoded. And newer films will be considered catalog titles in a few years, but that won't help anyone at all because the titles were region-encoded upon release.

If the studios didn't want to use region coding, then why was it incorporated into Blu-ray in the first place?

MarekM

Supporting Actor

well yes, but maybe at least first 100 or so titles are probably region free, because otherwise if you read here :
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=740374

he could play US BD title on UK samsung...

Yes, I can confirm this. I do have one American BD (Underworld) and took it in to a store here in the UK to play it on their new Samsung player. We were all surprised when it booted up and played properly, along with the UK copy of "SWAT" they had.

Marek

Marko Berg

Supporting Actor
It's just conjecture how many catalogue titles will eventually remain region-free and which studios will commit to such practice. The ordinary consumer has no way of checking for compatibility before making a decision to purchase which will only hurt software sales.

They should have just kept the format region free from the start to make things easier for everybody.

MarekM

Supporting Actor
Marko, I just edited my post, sorry for error...

"he could play US BD on UK samsung.." is correct, I just wrote he could not play :frowning: I didn't check that after my post, sorry again..

Marek

MarekM

Supporting Actor

Yes I fully agree with you. At least they can tell the world, starting with THIS TITLE we are on region coding.. all titles before are region FREE, but I doubt we will see any press for this :frowning:

Marek

Juan Books

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Juan
My interest in high definition movies is already tepid at best. If they start again with that regional coding bullshit, I'm definitely staying out of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks