What's new

International Region B Inferno (1953) 3D August 10 (1 Viewer)

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Keith Cobby said:
I have just watched Dragonfly Squadron for the first time on television (movies4men in the UK). Admittedly a poor presentation (I assume PD) but I thought it to be a very poor film.
I saw it as well. I switched the 2D - 3D option but it wasn't very effective. I'll wait for the genuine 3D version!

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Seeing it in widescreen, fully restored in 3-D from the original 35mm elements adds a LOT to the enjoyment factor of the film.

Our Blu-ray release from Olive is coming very soon!

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
David M. Ballew said:
The story I’ve heard more than once is that sometime in the past 20th Century Fox was considering an anaglyphic DVD release of Inferno. The ball got rolling, and some sensible person at their home video division decided to bring in 3-D expert Dan Symmes to supervise the work. They provided him full 1080p high definition masters of the left and right eyes. He used these to tweak the images and iron out a few minor problems that had been present in the stereo cinematography since day one.

Eventually the project ran out of steam, I guess. Fox never released an anaglyphic standard def DVD of Inferno. It also apparently never bothered to retrieve its masters from Dan Symmes. He used those masters to create his own private Blu-Ray copy of Inferno.

A few years ago, Dan Symmes passed away unexpectedly. Eric Kurland and others from the Stereo Club of Southern California were present at the estate sale, hoping to retrieve and preserve as much of Mr. Symmes’ 3-D legacy as possible. And so ownership of Dan Symmes’ Blu-Ray of Inferno passed to this group.

Someone in this group knew how to use the Blu-Ray to create a DCP of Inferno for theatrical projection, which was done. It was decided to screen Inferno at the Downtown Independent Theater in L.A. Since the people who own the Downtown Independent are honest, law-abiding people, they contacted Fox about paying an appropriate fee to screen Inferno in 3-D.

Fox was surprised and very interested. They weren’t aware a 3-D repertory copy of Inferno was in circulation. Hmm.

So the situation was explained to them, and you know what Fox did? A surprisingly sensible thing. Yes, pay us “X” amount to screen the movie, Fox said, and then, if you don’t mind, could you please provide us a copy of the DCP you’re using so that we may make this film available for other repertory screenings elsewhere?

And that’s exactly what happened. Inferno has been screened digitally at several festivals and retrospectives around the country.

My belief is that Dan Symmes’ optimized version of Inferno is the one to be presented on this forthcoming Blu-Ray.
I had the pleasure of attending that screening at the Downtown Independent (it was the night after the 2012 HTF Hollywood Meet ended), and the movie was absolutely gorgeous. If my old friend Eric Kurland hadn't sent me the invite, I probably would have never known about the screening.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Bob Furmanek said:
Seeing it in widescreen, fully restored in 3-D from the original 35mm elements adds a LOT to the enjoyment factor of the film.

Our Blu-ray release from Olive is coming very soon!

Bob,

I don't ever remember seeing this movie so I'm really looking forward to watching this BD.

SAM33

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Stewart
MAN IN THE DARK is not really a "good" film either, but when seen in a great 3D presentation it is very enjoyable to me.
I'm sure DRAGONFLY SQUADRON will be the same, I've never seen it either, but as a 3D fan the process itself is half the fun.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Bob Furmanek said:
Good catch. Further digging shows that it opened in 3-D at the Odeon Marble Arch.
Came across this piece in Kine Weekly (Dec 17, 1953) about the London opening of INFERNO and also SANGAREE.

Inferno.jpg

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Panamint Cinema said:
Our Blu-rays and DVDs are all available to ship outside UK either from our own site or Amazon.co.uk. (There was a mistake with the Blu-rays on Amazon.co.uk, which is now corrected. Thanks for pointing that out. ) Blu-rays are also listed on Amazon.com. The odd DVD is UK and Europe only because of licensing conditions.
Hi Russell - is there a pre-order date for "Inferno" or do we have to wait until the release date to order?

(Either is fine, I'm really looking forward to getting it!)

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
David Steigman said:
Pre-order on the site itself ? I didnt see one at Amazon UK (yet)
They're not selling via Amazon. Amazon want too much commission.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Panamint Cinema said:
Thanks Doug for your order received this morning. Really delighted with the level of pre-orders coming through.

Russell
Judging from your website, most of your efforts so far have been towards non-commercial films. Does this new disc of Inferno - and the number of pre-orders - suggest that you will in future be concentrating more on commercial films? Such as those starring Rhonda Fleming?

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Technically, there was a second 3-D release from 20th Century Fox: GORILLA AT LARGE in 1954. However, it was independently produced for Fox by Panoramic Productions. INFERNO was a Fox studio production.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks