What's new

Region 1 Special Editions I'd really like to see get made. (1 Viewer)

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
Updated the first post.
DO NOT make comments about wanting a Special Edition for Brokeback Mountain, this goes for everyone. It's personally not very welcome at all in my thread as I have ZERO desire in seeing the film. You'll get it soon enough so quit yer griping! Same goes for Harry Potter.
And why be held back by regional lockout when alot of people can make the plunge into going multi-regional? I've made the mistake in buying the Helios HVD-2085. It doesn't handle black levels very well and I suggest going for the Oppo OPDV971H.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
I only knew it as Mad Max 2 in my video renting days. I cringed when I later discovered the alternate "Road Warrior" title. ;)

Mad Max 2 is my favorite of the three and I'm looking forward to a long overdue special edition.

Now where are these updates Ray? Whaaat? Page one? Couldn't you have posted the best of the updates in your newest post? No? [leaves in a huff]

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II

One thing I don't get is why didn't Warners do a one-two with both Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior and Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome? They coulda released a Special Edition Duology set. Oh well...:crazy:

I also can't wait for the 2-Discer of The Monster Squad either. It's about time.

Jim Peavy

Supporting Actor
'Cause Thunderdome sucks...?

I kid!! (sorta...)

So a SD SE Road Warrior is coming? (I'm aware of the HD DVD).

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
Beetlejuice (20th Anniversary Edition)
It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World (45th Anniversary Edition)
Empire Records
The Pink Panther (45th Anniversary Edition)
Wait Until Dark
The Sword In The Stone
Bedknobs And Broomsticks
Airport (1975, 77, & 79)
Earthquake
Charade

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart

Bedknobs and Broomsticks, Charade, and The Pink Panther are fine for now. B&B is a full special edition (restored cut, 16x9, 5.1), Charade has already had two Criterion editions (with a commentary and other stuff). The Pink Panther has a Blake Edwards commentary, trivia track, making-of (on the bonus disc in the box set), the trailer, and a photo gallery. Not to mention that the 16x9 remaster is fantastic.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure

Bedknobs and Broomsticks did have some really good features, but that was back in 2001, Disney already missed the 35th Anniversary back in 2006.

Charade could really use a new DVD, especially for next year for it's 45th Anniversary, along with other 1963 films turning 45.

The Pink Panther needs a new DVD, just on its own, not part of a boxset.

Few others I forget to add were

The Amityville Horror 1979 Orginial
Friday The 13th
The Exorcist
Freaky Friday 1976 Orginial
Hatari!
Clue The Movie
The Philadelphia Story
Bringing Up Baby
Arsenic And Old Lace

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart

The special edition in the box set was given its own single-disc release when they did the same for the entire series (including the first-ever releases of Inspector Clouseau, Curse of the Pink Panther, and Son of the Pink Panther). Even though the cover doesn't show it, all the extras are carried over.

The Philadelphia Story and Bringing Up Baby had 2-disc special editions released back in 2005.

Arsenic and Old Lace could use a nice upgrade for extras. The original DVD has an A+ transfer, but not even a trailer.

Dave Simkiss

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dave Simkiss
Just because I know they will never get made I'd love to see SE/DC's of...
Tankgirl
13th Warrior

But then again, I never thought I would see SE's of Highlander II, Superman II, Alien 3 etc etc

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure

WB just rushed it and labeled it Special Editions, only Philadelphia had a feature pertaining to the movie, which was a radio versions of the movie. Other than that two had no special features about the movie, just the stars lives.

WB did the same thing with the new 25th Anniversary Edition of Plotegiest, only on feature and thats it, they could of included so much more, but opted not to.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
FRIGHT NIGHT!!!!

I can't think of any film that deserves a special edition more than this one.

Actually I'd settle for a new edition with audio commentaries from the director, the 3 main actors, and Chris Sarandon who plays the vampire:)

Bruce Morrison

Supporting Actor
2008 will mark the 40th anniversary of 'Rosemary's Baby', and this urgently needs to be re-done on DVD - the present edition is one of the most disappointing DVD transfers I've ever seen of a major film. A SE is way overdue.

mike kaminski

Second Unit
Real Name
mike kaminski
How about 1492? I don't think thats even available in R1.

Also, Darkrock17 requested Bringing Up Baby--but there was a SE done in 2005, wasn't there?

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II

For Charade, I highly suggest the newer Anamorphic release from The Criterion Collection.
Still waiting on a full-blown Special Editions for The 13th Warrior, The Rocketeer, Tank Girl, Beetlejuice and lots of other films.
It's times like these I really wish I were a DVD producer.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks