What's new

Region 1 Special Editions I'd really like to see get made. (1 Viewer)

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
Thank you kindly, ChrisCook.

Post #85 updated again!:D

It appears to me that 2006 is shaping up already for a great year for upgrade releases.;)

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
And yet again post #85 is updated!:D

Oh, and some help for the upcoming Warners Special Editions would most certainly help out alot.;)

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
To start with, here are several titles which are finally being re-released as Special Editions or their various monikers. (Titles with an asterisk after the mumbo jumbo are the ones I'm planning on purchasing.)

Coming in 2006:
2001: A Space Odyssey - Special Edition (??/??)*
All the President's Men - Two-Disc Special Edition (02/21)
Blue Thunder - Special Edition (04/04)
A Clockwork Orange - Special Edition (??/??)
CON-AIR - Unrated Extended Edition (05/16/06)*
Crimson Tide - Unrated Extended Edition (03/14)*
Dog Day Afternoon - Two-Disc Special Edition (02/28)
Enemy of the State - Unrated Extended Edition (05/16)*
Erik the Viking - Director's Cut (03/21)
Event Horizon - Special Collector's Edition 2-Disc (04/18)*
A Fish Called Wanda - Collector's Edition (03/14)*
The Green Mile - Two-Disc Collector's Edition (??/??)*
Midnight Cowboy - Collector's Edition (02/21)
Mission: Impossible - Special Collector's Edition (04/11)*
Beneath the Planet of the Apes (03/28)*
Escape from the Planet of the Apes (03/28)*
Conquest of the Planet of the Apes (03/28)*
Battle for the Planet of the Apes (03/28)*
The Poseidon Adventure - Special Edition (05/09)
The Shining (1980) - Special Edition (??/??)
Stalag 17 - Special Collector's Edition (03/21)
SUPERMAN II - Director's Cut (??/??)*
The Towering Inferno - Special Edition (05/09)

Coming in 2007:
L.A. Confidential - Two-Disc Special Edition (??/??)*
The Man Who Would be King - Special Edition (??/??)*
Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior - Special Edition (??/??)*
Poltergeist - Silver Anniversary Special Edition (??/??)*

Coming in 2008:
Risky Business - Special Edition (??/??)

More to follow later.

Here are titles of which I am and others are still waiting for. (Titles with an asterisk after the title are films I've yet to see but will get around to eventually watching them.)

The 13th Warrior
1492: The Conquest of Paradise - Get Charlie de Lauzirika for this one.;)
1941* - Anamorphic I guess?
The Abyss - Current release is perfect and I highly prefer the 171m Special Edition cut over the 146m Theatrical. One major issue I have with this is that it's non-anamorphic. An anamorphic retransfer would be most pleased from me.
The Addams Family
Addams Family Values
The Adventures of Baron Munchausen - A Criterion calibre type of Special Edition would be nice. Hell, if Criterion were able to make a Special Edition of this title and even port over all their laserdisc material and make even more extras that'd be just fine.:D
Altered States*
Always
Apocalypse Now
The Arrival
Awakenings
Backdraft
Bean
BEETLEJUICE
Big
Black Rain (Ridley Scott) - Get Charlie de Lauzirika for this one.
BLADE RUNNER - Eventually coming out with a Special Edition. Must be patient though.
Bottle Rocket
Bram Stoker's Dracula
Braveheart
Broken Arrow*
The Cable Guy
Coming to America
DARKMAN
Dark City
Days of Thunder*
Death Becomes Her
Dick Tracy - I just might even buy the current edition. Was rumoured to be a Vista Series release but said rumour has since been quashed. By the way, could anyone confirm whether or not the current release is anamorphic? Figuring since the price is so low now and if they see sales for it it'd garner a Special Edition release.
Dragonslayer
Enemy Mine
Escape From Alcatraz
Escape from L.A.
Excalibur
FACE/OFF
Far and Away
The Fisher King - A Criterion calibre type of Special Edition would be nice. Hell, if Criterion were able to make a Special Edition of this title and even port over all their laserdisc material and make even more extras that'd be just fine.
A Fistfull of Dollars*
Flash Gordon*
Flatliners*
Fletch
Fletch Lives
THE FLY (1958)*
For a Few Dollars More*
Four Rooms
Frantic
From Dusk Till Dawn - Just an anamorphic re-transfer is all I guess that's needed...
Futureworld*
G.I. Jane
The Game - A Criterion calibre type of Special Edition would be nice. Hell, if Criterion were able to make a Special Edition of this title and even port over all their laserdisc material and make even more extras that'd be just fine.:D
GHOSTBUSTERS II - Doubtful due to the recently released Gift Set last year. Guess we'll have to wait for one of the HD formats, more than likely Blu-Ray.
The Golden Child
Hackers
HAMLET (Kenneth Branagh)*
Hard Target - The Director's Cut would be nice to have for this John Woo film.
The Hindenburg
Home Alone
Hone Alone 2: Lost in New York
The Hudsucker Proxy
Jewel of the Nile
Judge Dredd
LadyHawke
The Lawnmower Man
Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome
Mars Attacks!
Mary Shelly's Frankenstein
Maverick
Michael Collins
The Mosquito Coast
The NeverEnding Story - This most deservedly deserves (quaint, ain't it? ) Warner's Two-Disc Special Edition treatment. A fully branching version with the American and the International (Perhaps the German cut?) fully remastered 16:9 transfer with commentaries and the second disc obviously devoted to the extras. The second disc should be dual-layered considering the source material is a book and there are alot of sites divulging on the making of the film. One of my must buys but alas am holding off for the dream version stated above. And I'm still waiting for a Two-Disc Special Edition announcement from Warners...
Outland
The Phantom*
Planes, Trains and Automobiles
Poltergeist II*
Presumed Innocent
Quiz Show
Raising Arizona
Return of the Fly (1959)*
Rising Sun - I'd love to see a full blown 2-Disc Collector's Edition from Fox. That's how much I have high regards for the Michael Crichton book and the movie.
Rob Roy
RoboCop 2
The Rocketeer - I have all of The Rocketeer comic books so I guess you could say I'm a fan. A commentary track from the Director and creator Dave Stevens. Another commentary track from the Director and Bill Campbell. Documentaries and behind-the-scenes feauturettes would be excellent.
Rollerball (1975)
Romancing the Stone
RONIN - The Special Edition 2-Disc is most likely coming here so as soon as it gets all announced and a week before it comes out I'm selling my single disc and keeping the "booklet."
Screamers
The Shadow
STARMAN
Strange Days
Tank Girl
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
They Live
Three Amigos!
THUNDERHEART
Time Cop
True Lies - Supposedly rumoured to be a Five Star Collection release, but due to unforntunate "events", it remains unreleased as a Special Edition. Although, if it does happen to get released, it'd most likely be under the Collector's Edition banner.
Virtuosity
Volcano*
WarGames*
Waterworld
Westworld*
White Squall
The Witches of Eastwick
Young Frankenstein

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Ray me lad, wouldn't it be simpler, and more convenient, if you'd just copy and paste your updated list in your newest post? Just a suggestion. ;)

Steef.

p.s. Event Horizon Special Edition! On the way! Is that on your list? No? tsk tsk.
Crimson Tide SE coming up. Con-Air too! :emoji_thumbsup:

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
Great idea Steve me laddy lad dude!:D

Event Horizon is in the 2006 releases entry thingy. The front cover sucks ass though...

Can I vote for "Enough with the SEs!" There are a ton of great movies waiting to come out on DVD for the very first time but can't get on the release schedule because of all of the SEs being produced. I say enough of the double-dipping. Bring on more new titles.

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
I really don't care what you vote for. Alot of these films shouldn't be considered "douple dips" since ALOT of them came out in DVD's infancy. I've been collecting DVD's since late 1999-early 2000 and alot of these titles I've been waiting for. And I certainly hope you don't threadcrap in this thread ever again.
The "double dip" name should be reserved for titles which have a single disc out and then a two-disc or more coming out less than six months down the line. In such terms THAT which I described in the previous sentence is a "double dip." Hell, out of my huge fucking list I posted there are numerous titles of which I'm eagerly hoping for and others I'm certainly half-assed about.
Considering I sure as bloody hell really like extras as detailed in my DVD collection link in my signature, I say the varied smattering of exceptional extras laden releases are fully welcome by me. Yet, I despise the re-releases where all there is is a measly rushed EPK for the sequel. I own BOTH the Signature Selection and Extended Edition of GLADIATOR and in my opinion, it's the ultimate 5-Disc Gladiator set you can have.
Don't even get me started on those hypocritical "No DTS = No Sale" people. More like "No DTS = No Sale = No Brain." To reiterate my views on that, I'd much rather to have the original audio track for the film in question. As an example, the main two reasons I purchased JAWS: 30th Anniversary Edition was because it contained the original Monoaural soundtrack and the complete laserdisc documentary on the second disc. I'm also keeping both the Corrected 5.1 Audio and Deluxe Edition for Leon: The Professional since the former has Eric Serra's beautiful, encapsulating score as a music-only track and the latter has other features. Leon is one of my all-time favorite films.
Speaking of Eric Serra, I felt that The Punisher (2004) certainly could have been far better if he had done the score ala Leon... Just opinion but maybe others will agree with me or not. Just an idle thought I had lately.:crazy:

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
Post #1 updated for once since I figure that must be the first page people look at.:crazy:

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
Titles with an asterisk after the mumbo jumbo are the ones I'm planning on purchasing.:D

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
First post is being updated.

Can an administrator change the thread title to "Region 1 Special Edition Wishlist" ?

Thanks.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou

Hello Ray, I keep forgetting that special editions of 2001: A Space Odyssey, A Clockwork Orange and The Shining were rumoured to be due out some time this year, hopefully we'll get an announcement soon, what a perfect capper to the year that would be. :)

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
Updating the first post again.

Thanks, Steef! I'm wondering if they're just going to release a boxset of all of the Kubrick Special Editions or not. I'm wondering if I should add Barry Lyndon and alot of the other Kubrick films...

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
First post updated again with all 20 Bond, Jimmy Bond, Ultimate Edition DVD's.

Real Name
Matthew Burdette
Superman 2: The DONNOR CUT!
Rush Hour (The current DVD is fine but we need a better SE with more deleted scenes and DTS)
Concorde:Airport 79 extended TV Version
Black Sunday (For the 30th anniversary)
Willy Wonka and the Chocolate actory (Two disker for the film's 35th anniversary with a Widescreen version + DTS and DD 5.1 and original mono on disc one.)
Austin Powers (Released with a 2:1 ratio but I want a 2:35.1 version!)

John Kwong

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
JK
The Changeling
Poltergiest
Rollerball (1975)
Blade Runner
Best Years of Our Lives (1946)
Meet John Doe
Ball of Fire (1941)
Logan's Run (1976)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks