What's new

Regarding the "tax stimulus" refund.... (1 Viewer)

Marianne

Supporting Actor
When the "economic stimulus package" was announced last year it was aimed at getting people to buy consumer goods. Recently I heard a certain person say that people could use it to buy groceries and gas. What a difference a few months makes!

Trying to avoid politics. ;)

Cassy_w

Second Unit
OK. Interesting. My husband received a letter from the IRS with both our names stating $600, which he already received, so I wonder about myself. I have a 2 year green card, which I received spring of last year. Been able to work here since 2006 and have been.

It's so strange to pay taxes. We don't have taxes where i am from. No kiddig. But they get their money via other ways.

Marianne

Supporting Actor

The idea of the refund was to stimulate the economy. Buying groceries and gas because the price has gone way up doesn't stimulate the economy. You're buying the same things as before, just at higher prices.

I think the original idea was that we should all go out and buy "big ticket" items with our refunds.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan

Never planned on using it for anything when they announced the package, and still don't. I just left it in the bank. There's nothing I would buy that I wouldn't have if I hadn't received the money.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I'm so confused by this stimulus thing and how it works, who gets what and when that at this point i'm resigning myself to the idea that I won't get anything so that when I don't I won't be upset and if I do cool. :)

I'm basically just waiting to see what happens.

But if I do there is a Blu Ray player out there with my name on it. :)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
You would have received a notice about two months ago if you were getting it.

It"s basically $600 for all US taxpayers earning less than $75k individually.

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
I got my notice on Friday before last stating that they were sending my check out on the 23rd of may, so I anticipate it being in my mailbox today!

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
> It"s basically $600 for all US taxpayers earning less than $75k individually.

Actually, $600 is the max, not counting the per-child bonus.

The way I read it was that you get back what you paid in 2007 in federal income tax, up to a limit of $600, with a minimum of $300, even if you didn't pay that much.

So if you qualify,
if you paid $100, you get back $300
if you paid $450, you get back $450
if you paid $800, you get back $600
and so on

If you haven't been notified, did you file a return for 2007? You have to do that to get a check, even if you otherwise didn't have to file.

Matt Stryker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt

actually I'm pretty sure all you had to do was file - due to the nature of my job & income (minister), I don't withhold at all and my deduction covers any tax i owe, but I filed and was stimulated.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson

Well, I did recieve something a few weeks ago but it didn't tell me the amount I would be getting, it was just a letter telling me about the stimulus package and said pretty much what's been mentioned here saying that if I filed and made such and such amount.

I don't see why I shouldn't get it, I filed and I made well over the required amount so...

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
> actually I'm pretty sure all you had to do was file - due to the nature of my job & income (minister), I don't withhold at all and my deduction covers any tax i owe, but I filed and was stimulated.

You quoted my post, but I don't think what you said disagrees with what I wrote.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
You're a minister? How interesting. But not surprising: most ministers I know have a strong interest in movies and/or things related to pop culture.

I'd enjoy asking more, but, you know... forum guidelines :)

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell
Hey! I got him on Sunday afternoons. You know southern families make the best fried chicken for Sun. afternoon suppers, especially when a minister is coming over.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks