What's new

Regarding the "tax stimulus" refund.... (1 Viewer)

Michael Harris

Screenwriter
Due to an IRS error back in 1997, it took a year for me to get my tax refund. They gave me the refund, acknowledged the error, and even paid me interest! In 1998 I get a notice from the IRS telling me that interest was paid and that they are reporting the payment of that interest to the IRS and to remind me that the interest was taxable income.

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member

Is this information taken from the IRS website? Perhaps I read it wrong, but the informational notice that the IRS sent out explaining the upcoming rebate seemed to say that a person making between $3000-$35,000 adjusted gross income would scale up from $300 to $600 and over $35,000 would get $600. It didn't make much sense to me when I read it so I think I read it stupidly. I'll have to check it out when I get back home and re-read the notice.

As for the "free" money....well, we're never going to pay off our national debt. Ever. I'm all for getting money every year just because I'm a taxpayer who falls within a certain bracket. You damn right I'm going to stimulate the economy with this money. I hope this becomes standard practice every year.

Bruce

Joe D

Supporting Actor

There is a calculator on the IRS website that will tell you what you are getting.

There is no 3,000 - 35,000 scaling for the payment.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
So we've all got our stimulus checks now (that's gettin' 'em). How did you stimulate the economy?

I'm generally trying to not spend it like free money, but I'm doing my part with buying a new lawn mower, new blinds, and (my wife tells me) bedroom furniture in short order.

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
Well I don't have mine yet. The IRS website says my check will be mailed by the 22nd of May. We plan on either buying some new furniture, or doing some landscaping to the yard with it.

mylan

Screenwriter
We were supposed to get ours today, $1,200, but have not checked the joint acct. yet. The deal is $400 goes to the joint, $400 to her for a trip, and $400 to me to help pay for this new Dell XPS, a Big ass LG 22" monitor and a printer, we're both pretty happy!

Michael Warner

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
We used it to lock in airfare for Christmas travel before tickets start to skyrocket. I don't really like the idea of giving the airlines an interest free loan for seven months but I'm worried what the cost of travel would be if we waited any longer.

bobbyg2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bobby Geiser
Does anyone know if you must be 18 and a Non-Dependant to receive this? 'Cause I never received one and I'm assuming it's for one of those reasons.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I think they are spreading out the checks based on the last two digits of your SS number. Mine ends with 91 so they will probably drop it in the mail after they lock the door and turn out the lights! Sometime in July, I think. They may not have sent yours out yet either.

Cassy_w

Second Unit
Do you get a refund if you are not a citizen? As in, someone from overseas here with a green card, working and paying taxes.

Brian Serene

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brian Serene
This is the payment schedule on the IRS web site:

Stimulus Payment Schedule for Tax Returns Processed by April 15

We filed jointly using Direct Deposit.

I don't know why we didn't get our check by close of business on May 19th at the latest.

The IRS provides a phone number 1-866-234-2942 for questions about your payment, however, it is strictly an automated call. You cannot get through to a real person.

It's looking like we may have to wait until June. I don't have any idea why we would have to wait for a check in the mail. AFIK we met all the criteria for Direct Deposit.

Is there anyone else who filed jointly and used Direct Deposit who did not receive their stimulus payment yet?

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
Brian, if you used Turbo Tax for direct deposit, then you will get a mailed check instead of direct deposit. If you didn't then I don't know what to tell you.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

I file my taxes using Turbo Tax and get both fed & state refunds directly deposited into my account. And I got a direct deposit on my stimulus rebate.

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
There was more to it than that. If you used Turbo Tax, AND paid the filing fee out of your refund, then you will get a paper check. Reason being is that some California bank actually acted as the go-between.

As Mike said, I also used TurboTax for Fed and State, but I paid the filing fee with my credit card, so I got my handout;) on May 12, just like they said.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks