1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Reenergizing the human space effort.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jack Briggs, May 13, 2002.

1. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

We have been stagnant long enough, according to NasaWatch.com's Keith Cowing. I agree completely with his argument as posted here.
    It is time to raise our heads above the dreary routine that is low Earth orbit and move on. The Universe awaits.

2. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

I agree completely. As a matter of fact, I'll go. Could use a change of pace... [​IMG]

3. Steve Christou

Steve Christou Long Member

Steve Christou
    Dudes, I've already been up there on many occasions *cough*cough* [​IMG]
    Yeah whats this waiting around shit!! Lets go to Mars, while we're still fairly young people, c'mon whats it gonna cost 3-4 billion dollars? Is a drop in the well.
    Well I'm doing my bit I'm posting 5 quid to NASA hope it helps, I'd love to switch on the news and see a dune buggy on Mars, who knows maybe there is life on Mars, deep in caves, maybe there's ancient Martian machinery which when activated releases oxygen into the atmosphere and ...erm forget it.

4. Julie K

Julie K Screenwriter

I agree with most of the article. However, I'm a little concerned that he may be suggesting that a manned mission can replace unmanned missions. This is simply not the case. An unmanned probe can go to sites that are not safe enough to send the first (or second or third) manned Mars missions. You simply won't plunk down the first humans on Mars in Valles Marineris, for instance. You'll put them somewhere flat, not very rocky, and probably not very interesting scientifically.
    I would also like to see a mission to Europa but it will be a long time before we can send a person there.
    I'm all for a manned Mars mission (in addition to selected unmanned probes) but I don't see it happening soon. I wish it would, but the public on the whole doesn't care. There is a perception, false of course, that the NASA budget is a huge percentage of the national budget and that all our problems can be solved by cutting NASA to shreds.
    There are two things that would change public opinion: the discovery of life on Mars or a new space race with an antagonistic country.
    Man, I'm depressed this morning [​IMG]

5. Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises Lead Actor

I'm kind of looking at my watch right now, wondering when some old country's going to want to race with the U.S. again. Might as well be content to live and die on this decaying piece of rock we call Earth.

6. Danny R

Danny R Supporting Actor

Forget the small stuff.

I say lets build us a huge solar sail, with a laser to push it along, and get started moving out to a new star.

7. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    I disagree. We've spent enough already. Forget spending billions on getting a few people to other plants. How about spending those billions on this planet? Our plant needs a lot of repair work, why go and destroy another one if we cannot keep this one up and running?
    Peace Out~[​IMG]

8. Peter Kline

Peter Kline Screenwriter

Ron-P,

I'm going to reveal a secret to you. Every $ spent on the space program has been spent on earth. It has given jobs to millions of people world-wide and has developed spin-offs of technology that have affected you and me and the planet (plant) in a positive way.

9. Ben Osborne

Ben Osborne Second Unit

10. Peter Kline

Peter Kline Screenwriter

Ben,
    Sorry, your argument is wrong. The space program has involved private companies, not governmental bureaucrats "digging holes". Are you aware that Americans spend more money on cosmetics and other such things then NASA's entire yearly budget? There's room for both, you see. [​IMG]

11. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    I am aware of that Peter. But, all those same private companies, government agencies and millions of people world wide can still be employed, yet build to better benefit this planet more directly.
    It saddens me to see people starving to death while we spend millions of dollars to have people float around the globe.
    There is no need to go to Mars (or any other planet) and spend billions getting there at this point in time. There are more pressing issues right here that are much more important that need our focus.
    Peace Out~[​IMG]

12. Jack Briggs

What Peter Kline said--and reaffirmed a thousand times over. Without question.

13. Julie K

Julie K Screenwriter

14. BrianW

BrianW Screenwriter

Brian

15. Julie K

Julie K Screenwriter

16. Julie K

Julie K Screenwriter

17. Danny R

Danny R Supporting Actor

Watching that, and then realizing we can't repeat that feat today is extremely discouraging.

I think NASA is perfectly capable of repeating the feat today. The problem is that our nation has no desire to do so!

Whats discouraging is that we put 12 people on the moon, but haven't been back in a whole generation. I was alive for the last Apollo launches, but too young to remember any of them. Is it any wonder that we've not set any large goals when a huge portion of the nation has no memory of prior greatness?

18. Jack Briggs

Julie: Understood! If we were to try returning to the Moon today, it would probably take twice as long as it did during Project Apollo. In dismantling the Saturn V production line, we basically ripped assunder our entire manned-spaceflight infrastructure. JB

Also, all this obsession with making manned spaceflight a zero-risk proposition: Without taking real risks, we'll get nowhere. Opening the space frontier is the greatest challenge ever undertaken by the human species. The conquest of space is worth the risk of life.

19. Danny R

Danny R Supporting Actor

And I think most astronauts today would tell you that they would rather dare for greatness at some small risk to themselves, than never go and be perfectly safe at home.

20. Julie K

Julie K Screenwriter

Jack,

I agree completely. The prizes gained from space travel are well worth the risk. Unfortunately, I believe a lot of the public believe that risks can be completely eliminated from all endeavors.