What's new

Red objects look orange on my tv (1 Viewer)

Matthew Anderson

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Anderson
I believe I may have what is called the "red push" problem on my tv. Objects that are supposed to be red in color have way too much orange in them. I have tried adjusting the color and tint but I just can't get it right. Thanks for any help.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Yep, this is a very common problem. Most consumer sets use red push to offset the blue shift in grayscale that the manufacturers assume consumers want. Of course, if you're a real HT enthusiast, you end up losing.

What kind of display is it?

A service menu calibration can tame the grayscale. As for the orange tints, you might try reducing the chroma levels a bit.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Chroma level is the same as color level. Just reduce it a bit to make the skin tones appear more natural. Of course, doing this affects the other colors as well. Nothing can be done about that, short of a full calibration, which I doubt you'd want to do on an older set.

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
On some picture tubes, the red phosphor is not as red as it could be, it is too orange.
If you have an RPTV, you may be able to add a red cellophane (theater lighting gel is better) over the red gun to improve the red, you will need to re-calibrate everything to get the color balance right again.
Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Matthew Anderson

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Anderson
Thank you Jack and Allan for your advice. My tv is only 4 years old and it gets a great picture except for the color problem I mentioned. I try making adjustments with the color.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks