What's new

Red Dead Redemption (1 Viewer)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I've just given this a whirl and realized this kind of game for me is like torture. I mean, it's beautiful, and for the right player exceptional.. but it's the kind of game I'm terrible at. I cannot control the damn horse to save my life, I am at the first stage, where you race the girl around the circle, and she could just as well lap me. Argh, well it took a while but I figured out GTAIV, so I can figure this out.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Originally Posted by mattCR
I've just given this a whirl and realized this kind of game for me is like torture. I mean, it's beautiful, and for the right player exceptional.. but it's the kind of game I'm terrible at. I cannot control the damn horse to save my life, I am at the first stage, where you race the girl around the circle, and she could just as well lap me. Argh, well it took a while but I figured out GTAIV, so I can figure this out.
The first couple of hours, I thought I would hate the game because of the controls. You'll get used to them and it won't be a problem.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Red Dead Redemption comes to Games on Demand on Tuesday. Price not announced yet, I will be shocked if it's less than $39.95 tho.

If it's $29 or less I may get it that way and sell my physical disk.

Sam

SirGSS

Auditioning
Real Name
Benjamin Hammer
If it's less than $29, I might be able to justify the spending from bills and pick up a copy. I tried this game out earlier this year at a friends' place, and fell instantly in love. Then I found out about the Undead Nightmare pack, and I nearly soiled myself in glee.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Heck, the actual disc's been on sale for $40-$50 in various stores over the past couple of weeks. Does the download include all the extra DLC?

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I think you can buy the red dead and undead nightmare discs brand new for $70, so yeah, not much of a deal here.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Red Dead is down to $40 on XBL and Amazon offered me $22 to trade in my disk earlier in the week... I havent traded a game in in close to 30 years of buying them, but I'm sold on downloads now so I figured I'd bite just to see how big a hassle it was. Couldnt be easier. Agree to it and they set you up with a UPS billing statement, take that to a UPS shop and they scan it in and give you a sticker. I bought a bubble mailer for $1.09 so made almost $21 in Amazon Credit and will surely put that to another game and I paid MS for the On Demand version last night.

Not as great a deal but Amazon will still give you $20.25 for it today...
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=trdrt_hqp_tins?ie=UTF8&field-keywords=B001SGZL2W&url=search-alias%3Dvideogames-tradein&pf_rd_p=1284717722&pf_rd_s=hero-quick-promo&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B001SGZL2W&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0FMFMX3E6FZJQWY134EH

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
So let me get this straight... you paid 50 - 60 dollars for the physical disk. You've played the game and now your esentially paying an additonal 20 dollars so you can play w/o the disk? This makes little sense to me. You can install the game from your disk to the hard drive. Granted you still need the disk for startup but after that you get the same benefit as a download. Am I missing something as I don't see a 20 dollar benefit from this.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Sounds like he was willing to pay a little out as a way to run an experiment on Amazon's process.

I got a little burned in the RDR process. I happily bought the Undead pack, only to scroll down and see that there was a pack for just a little more that included the previous paid packs. I'm doing without rather than paying double.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Precisely Gary. In essence I've paid an additional $18 premium to get rid of ever having to find that disc again. In fact. if new releases were available on day 1 as downloads I would never buy any disk based game again. On the PC if it it's not on Steam I don't buy it. I suspect Gamestop and Best Buy, Walmart and TRU would go bat@@%@ if Microsoft and Sony go down this road too soon but I expect that it WILL happen sooner than later. Sony's new games on flash memory seem to show they are still willing to kowtow to retailers but I don't expect those to be big sellers compared to downloads if both are available at the same time.

I'm still about an hour away from finishing the original story and despite buying the Undead DLC on the day it came out I have not had a chance to play it AT ALL due to my travel schedule. Once that calms down I expect to spend a LOT of time with RDR still and I don't think I'll ever get more than what Amazon was offering right now, so it seemed like an opportune time to see if it would work out as well as it appeared on the surface.

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
I see. I would subscribe to that model except you don't save any money going that route. In fact, the publisher actually makes more money off you since they don't have to manufacture discs. They should really offer a discounted rate from the physical disc rather than charging the same. It would also accelerate the technology conversion if that is the route these game publishers are going to take.

Another problem with that model is your game is no longer portable. In other words, you can't take it with you, say to a friends house to play. I do see the convenience of not having to worry about a disc.

I would be interested in playing online with you all if you have a posse going, and you are on XBox. Everytime I tried by myself, I would not last very long. If interested, send a friend request to Mister Doodads. Thanks.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
If the games aren't going to be available in the store, then the store will refuse to sell the hardware. It was one issue that the PSPgo ran into.

GameStop and Amazon have been selling codes for downloadable games/content, but GameStop allows you to actually go to the store and buy a card with the code on it. This is probably aimed more at kids who don't have credit cards, just like buying a card with however many MS Points/PSN credit/Wii points in a store. I think that this is not a terrible model, plus it still gives us (the consumers) the possibility of a store having a blowout sale where the cards are marked down. Sure, each online service for the 3 consoles has sales and discounts, but you will probably have a tougher time finding, say, Red Dead Redemption on the PSN or XBLA for less than you can get a used copy in a store.

Sony has said that the new PSP will use the memory card format as well as downloadable games. If the price difference is minimal between a game off the PSN and the same game on a card, then the benefit might lie in buying the card since it can also be used to store DLC, software updates/patches, etc.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
TODAY ONLY, Best Buy is selling the GOTY edition with all the add-ons for $14.99. PS3 or XBox. Last I checked, it was sold out in the warehouse, but can still be ordered for in-store pickup.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks