What's new

Red Dead Redemption (1 Viewer)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Any good guess on when the zombie pack will be released? I'm jonesing for it at this point. Do we know if it'll be handled like Lost and the Damned where it loads as its own thing, or what? Will we (major spoilers if you haven't finished RDR):

Play as John or Jack Marston, or an entirely new character?

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Actually, since you mention it:

Brand New Details on the "Undead Nightmare" DLC Pack.

According to the article, you'll be playing as John Marston, but if it's fully in-game integrated, you might be able to play as Jack, too, depending.

The final, specific release date hasn't been officially revealed yet, except that it's coming out "this fall," and will run $10 (or 800 MS points).

This one's definitely a day one download for me.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
It's your machine. The link takes the rest of us to a beta of the DLC. I'm only six hours in, but it's awesome! I hogtied a zombie and set it loose in Armadillo and watched the fireworks. Once he infected everyone, I got an achievement!

[SIZE= 9px]Okay, I'm lying. It's not a link but underlined text.[/SIZE]

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Check out these screenies. Johnny on an undead horse!

http://kotaku.com/5651333/scenes-from-an-undead-nightmare

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Hah, I was just going to post those same screenshots from that same Kotaku article.

And the trailer is now up, folks.

It makes me think -- having the entire in-game world overrun by a zombie apocalypse would be totally badass, but in order to pull that off, you'd basically have to have this DLC be a completely separate thing from the main game, similar to how The Ballad of Gay Tony was for GTA IV. Except also in an alternate universe.

But just imagine the possibilities -- racing across the countryside as an entire infected zombie horde bears down on you, trying to reach higher ground, while desperately counting down the moments till your depleted Dead-Eye meter is full enough once more to finally let off multi-headshots?

Awesome. But that may only be wishful thinking, since this might still end up being fully integrated. But still -- more Bonnie? Tons of Dead-Eye headshots? Bring it.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I really bet it's a separate deal like Gay Tony. They wouldn't make it where you have to have zombies all the time once you install it.

Besides more Bonnie, more Marshal Johnson! Oh yeah.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Yeah, having to face down undead zombie hordes everywhere you go would totally kill the main game's narrative, if they did that. So, yep...alternate-universe, probably.

Someone else on another forum had a cool thought -- what if the framing of this DLC is a dime-novel that Jack wrote later in life? That would be so neat.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I thought I did everything towards getting 100% last night, but I was stuck at 99.9%. I figured it was that missing locations bug hanging me up, but a trip to the R* Social Club shows I'm missing a bounty location. I looked it up and definitely haven't gotten a bounty there. 100% should be in sight.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Good luck, man. Quick tip for the bounties:

You'll know when you've exhausted all of the available "name" bounties for a given area (i.e., you'll see a criminal's actual name printed on the wanted poster) when the posters suddenly stop displaying those names.

In other words, if there are no more "100% Completion"-counting bounties in the region, you'll just start getting nameless criminals from there on out. Whichever one is still left, that's the "0.01%" that you're looking for.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Well, hell's bells. Social Club says I'm missing a bounty at Plata Grande. I just did three of them there, which was enough to take the Mexican bounties to the ?. I checked in Armadillo and Blackwater and the posters still have names on them in both. Social Club isn't giving me credit for Plata Grande and I'm still at 99.9%. I guess I'll try doing some bounties in the other areas, even though I'm supposed to be done, until I get the ?. If that doesn't take me to 100%, I guess I'm screwed. It would have been really nice if they had put a stagecoach in Chuparosa. I could have taken the bounties there and then gone anywhere else I liked, but no.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Looks like something's broken. Every bounty in New Austin is a guy called Dale Ghesson, and they've all been set back down to $40. I've been doing them all night trying to see if I could break the loop, but it doesn't seem to be working.

Edit: R*'s working on a fix. Hopefully, it'll solve both my problems.

http://support.rockstargames.com/help/rockstar_games/rdr_mapstats

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Oh, HELL yeah! I checked the patch status page above and the fix has been deployed. It's a silent update. I just connected to the internet, fired up the game and INSTANTLY got my 100% achievement and Bureau uniform!

Still have the Dale Ghesson bug, but it doesn't matter so much now. Rockstar knows about it, at any rate (and not from me).

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Awesome, dude. Glad to hear it finally came through for you -- I know I was sure pissed when I couldn't figure out what I still hadn't done, and thinking that mine was a patch-related issue at the time, too (but it wasn't).

Just waiting for that zombie DLC to finally drop, now...

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Oh yeah. I'm primed and ready to vaporize zombies into energon pods. I was wondering last night as I was mauled by a bear if dead bears will come back. I wonder if skinning them will be the only way to stop it. Or, if skinning them will mean skinned bear attack.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Holy shit:

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/10/08/red-dead-redemption-undead-nightmare-dlc-preview

a208e1c9_RedUndead_chase.jpg

Some new details from New York Comic-Con (quoted):

• There are new graveyards that have popped up around the country, and if you want to help quell the zombie population, you can enter one to start up the mission. Once you do, a coffin will be marked on your map, and you have to head over and set it on fire with your torch (a new melee weapon that's useful for taking out zombies, as well).

• But you'd better be ready -- because this sets off the zombie horde. They start climbing out of graves all around you, and coming at you for disturbing their resting place, and the more coffins you set on fire, the faster they start appearing.

• It's best to take out as many as you can before burning the last coffin, because these suckers are fast, dangerous as hell at close quarters and it's very easy to get completely swarmed by them if you don't dodge-and-roll as much as you can. You'll want to keep as much distance between you as you possibly can, and Dead Eye really is key here for nailing them with crucial shots and keeping them off of you.

• Fortunately, you have a few new weapons at your disposal. The first is the aforementioned torch, which can be swung at zombies to set them on fire. Zombies on fire are still dangerous, of course, but they won't be for much longer. A more immediate solution is the blunderbuss, an absolute beast of a weapon that splatters zombies into fine red mist. The best part about it? You load it up with body parts looted from corpses -- zombie ribs, and such. Exploding them doesn't leave anything behind, so you'll have to use other weaponry to get more ammo.

• As you'd expect, the violence has definitely been amped up here. Certain headshots will take off pieces of the zombie's heads, and the blunderbuss just absolutely decimates them. Sadly, there are no screens to share with you of this beautiful piece of aggression, but here's some regular ol' shotgun fun:

73c93cbe_RedUndead_boom.jpg

• After killing most of the zombies in the graveyard, a zombie boss appears. He's a character you might recognize, and doesn't take much more than a headshot to go down, but it's apparent that you're going to have a lot of familiar (although rotten) faces appearing here.

• Unfortunately, they're not telling us much about the story just yet, but it does have a definitive slot in the Red Dead Redemption timeline. (Possible spoilers ahead!) It will take place around the same time that John Marston goes back to his home to settle down near the end of the game. Rather than a couple of easy and relaxing farming tasks, he receives word that there's this horrible disease going around the country, and sets out to find the cure. Rockstar isn't saying whether the whole thing's just a nightmare or what, but the eerily, foggy look certainly seems to indicate it as such.

• They're saying this pack will take around 5-7 hours to complete, although you'll be able to get a lot more time in it. Much like with the main game, you can take your time and see the sights, and enjoy it for quite a while longer. (end quotes)

Fuck, I'm there, man. Any excuse to get John Marston back in the saddle is a good one.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
The fix I mentioned above didn't extend to the Social Club. I am still missing a bounty and some locations there. I've been in contact with R*, and their tech are nice people, but I don't think I've helped them that much. We kind of got sidetracked when a lawman walked up to the wall and failed to post a bounty. That one happened to correct itself. At any rate, as of yesterday, R* says they are preparing a second "silent" fix to try to knock out the rest of these bugs. It's kind of interesting to go to this link and see the hoops some of us are having to jump through to get everything at Social Club. For example, you have to do a bounty at Silent Stead to get the Plata Grande bounty to register:

http://support.rockstargames.com/help/rockstar_games/rdr_mapstats

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Cue up the Yello, because R*'s latest fix is live! I can't wait to try it out. I've got my 100%, but now it should be all there in Social Club. I'm the only one here with this problem, but I'll still post my results soon. Heh.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Does anyone know what type of bug makes the tick-tick-tick sound in the tall grass areas? I also heard it in a scene in The Walking Dead--I think when the cars were going to the roadblock.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks