What's new

Recommendations on large size plasmas (1 Viewer)

N.C.

Auditioning
Real Name
Naren
I'm in the market for a larger size plasma for a bright greatroom. I've been looking at the Samsung 63 (FP-T6374) and the Panasonic 65 (TH-65PZ750U). I've been able to see the Samsung at a local Best Buy but can't find the Panny to see first hand. I would appreciate any input from people who have had the chance to compare these two.

If any one wants to through any other contender into the mix, I'd appreciate the input. I'm trying to keep the price under $8,000 which would eliminate the Fujitsu (plasma) and Sony (lcd).

AllenD

Second Unit
i'm sorry i can't remember the model # of a 1080p samsung but saw it at best buy while x-mas shopping. it was playing samsung blue ray dvd. i couldn't believe my eyes! i was literrally floored while i watched the whole dvd demo. cars did not look like a cartoon! the cracken in pirates 2 looked real! i don't know what else to say about the combo.

i believe it was rated at 120hz, 25,000:1 according to the sales associate. the samsung has my vote. it did not compare to any of the other sets in the store. i really shouldn't go out and look at tvs cuz now i wanna upgrade...

Mort Corey

Supporting Actor
IIRC, I saw the Panny recently at Costco....and well under your budget ($6.5K I think) I've had problems in the past with QC issues on Samsung products but perhaps they're better these days.

Mort

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
I saw the Panasonic 65 (TH-65PZ750U) at CEDIA and it was a killer set. We watched some Hi-Def feeds and then some feeds from a SDHD card. We have a podcast of the line that we did while at CEDIA that you may want to check out.

Parker

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
Also consider the Pioneer Elite 150, it is the top of the class IMO.

Gregg

N.C.

Auditioning
Real Name
Naren
I appreciate all the information thus far. I still can't find the Panasonic 65 inch to see first hand locally, but a couple of stores have the 58 inch which appears to have the same specs such as contrast and brightness.

Is anyone aware about how comparable the Panasonic 58 is to the 65?

I'm also going to to look at the Pioneer Kuro 60 inch (non-Elite due to the price point per plasma real estate), which I've heard is an excellent display. I'll have to decide if the quality justifies the higher price point per plasma real estate.

N.C.

Auditioning
Real Name
Naren
I had a chance to see the Panasonic 58 inch. I was somewhat disappointed compared to the other 2 sets I looked at. The picture seemed slightly more grainy than the others and the colors seemed a bid washed out.

The Samsung 63 inch looked very nice. It was brighter, which is important to me given the ambient light in the room it will go into, and had richer colors. I also didn't see this "grainy" look.

The Pioneer 60 inch (PDP 6010) looked very nice. Not as vibrant as the Samsung. It was a little softer. The colors looked great. I can see why it has gotten such good reviews.

I saw all these at the local Pacific Sales and they had good prices on them. I am tempted to go for the Pioneer. I was even tempted to go for the Elite version, but it seems they are back-ordered for an unclear amount of time. I was told that Pioneer has a long back order on the Elite series 60 inch plasma. I'll probably give it a few days and go back and look at the PQ again and make a decision.... tough call... I'd really like to get my hands on the Elite 60, but I don't know if I want to wait for a nebulous amount of time.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks