1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Recommendations for best TV to DVD sets

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Julio Diaz, Nov 27, 2005.

1. Julio Diaz

Julio Diaz Well-Known Member

I'm currently working on an article about the best TV to DVD sets to own. My plan is to highlight five sets from each decade from the '50s to the '00s.

While I'm looking to mention seminal shows, I'm also looking for shows that are ideal DVD sets (great, comprehensive extras, non-syndication cuts, etc.), so it won't necessarily only be the well-known classics. For example, I will not include THE COSBY SHOW in the '80s section because they used syndication cuts; likewise, I'll probably use FIREFLY in the '00s section despite it being a short-run series because of the great set and the good story behind it.

Some of the stuff I know I will include: THE ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN, BUFFY, THE X-FILES, LOST, THE MUPPET SHOW, SEINFELD, FAMILY GUY, I LOVE LUCY, THE HONEYMOONERS.

Other stuff I'm considering: STAR TREK (TOS, DS9 and/or TNG), THE TWILIGHT ZONE (original series), THE SIMPSONS, CHAPPELLE'S SHOW, 24, LOIS & CLARK, MONTY PYTHON, COUPLING, ALFRED HITCHCOCK PRESENTS, THE OUTER LIMITS (original series).

I definitely need more ideas, especially for non-SF stuff. So: suggestions? What are your favorites? Why?

2. Scott-S

Scott-S Test Subject
    Supporter

Scott Sturdevant
    I think that both Futurama and Family Guy sets are worth a mention.

3. RickER

RickER Well-Known Member

Rick
    It was my understanding from this forum the Alfred Hitchcock Presents is edited, and has DVD-18 playback issues. So i would scratch that one off. Also i have read about playback issues with the 2nd season of the classic Outer Limits. My favorite set is the first Farscape release. Great extras, 5.1 surround and fantastic PQ. I also liked the DVD release of the new Galactica. You asked for some non si fi...hmmm...Moonlighting is the only one i have bought that was well made. Minus the crappy packaging.

4. TravisR

TravisR Well-Known Member

From your "Other stuff I'm considering" category, I would definitely include:

24: Season Two has the best making of a TV show documentary that I've ever seen. They're great looking and sounding discs too. [​IMG]

The Simpsons pull out all the stops when it comes to DVD. Although narrowing it down to one specific season would be based on personal opinions of the episodes.

The Twilight Zone DVDs are absolutely amazing jumps in terms of PQ in my mind. You pay more than you normally would for a TV set but the extra money is well worth how much better the episodes now look.

Lost is a very, very nice set as well.

And for non-sci-fi stuff I would say Deadwood. Primarily due to the high quality of the show. There's also some nice extras and the PQ is great as well.

5. Nicholas Martin

Nicholas Martin Well-Known Member

ANGEL.

All those shows listed and ANGEL isn't among them?

[​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Scott Kimball

Scott Kimball Well-Known Member

The Dick Van Dyke Show is a "must add" to the list.

-Scott

7. Linda Thompson

Linda Thompson Well-Known Member

MIAMI VICE may deserve a mention, at least, as a "yes, it can be done" example of conquering the music clearance hurdles which plague so many other sets. (Other end of the spectrum = the whole Quantum Leap R1 fiasco, followed by the release of allegedly un-butchered R2 sets.)

Re: someone's mention of MOONLIGHTING - there was a very illogical and puzzling music replacement issue. I LOVE the show, but that one thing alone excludes it from such a "best of show" discussion, IMO.

"24" - Definitely! Excellent sets, IMO.

8. JamesHromadka

JamesHromadka Well-Known Member

I think Hogan's Heroes deserves a mention. Good quality considering its age, and Season 2 even had some special features.

9. Julio Diaz

Thanks for all the recommendations, and keep 'em coming!

Nicholas, Angel is a personal favorite of mine, but as I am already including Buffy and Firefly, I don't want the article to become "the all-Joss Whedon revue" (huge Joss fan though I am). I personally own all five seasons and will probably make a brief mention of it within the Buffy entry. Which, I know, gives undeservedly short shrift to the Fang Gang, but given that this article will be appearing in a daily newspaper, my space will be quite limited and there's no way I can include everything, not even everything I own myself (for example, it's unlikely I'll find room for Wonderfalls or The Tick, though I love both shows dearly).

As an aside, I'm looking for overall series recommendations and not necessarily specific seasons, so the concern over, say, which Simpsons season to recommend isn't a big one.

There's been a few shows mentioned on here that are in my personal collection but that I haven't watched yet for one reason or another (in most cases, because I watched them religiously in their initial airings) that I'm going to have to make a point of watching soon based on the raves, especially 24 and Futurama. I think I might try to go on a big 24 spree in advance of the new season starting. [​IMG]

Scott, regarding Dick Van Dyke, I thought I remembered hearing that those weren't available in B&M stores but only via one particular online merchant. Is this true? If so, can you point me to where? I grew up with Dick Van Dyke in syndication (I'm only 34, so I'm too young to have seen 'em the first time around) and definitely agree that it's a classic show.

10. Scott Kimball

Scott Kimball Well-Known Member

I bought mine at the local Best Buy.
    A quick search also shows it at Amazon, Deep Discount DVD and Borders.

-Scott

11. Julio Diaz

Thanks, Scott. Those look like a good bet for including in the article -- lots of great extras. Something to add to my personal wishlist, too -- given the hefty price, I'll need to either get them as gifts or wait for DDD's next 20% off sale.

12. Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D Well-Known Member

Highlander: The Series deserves a mention.....I find it to be a decent show and the DVD sets are loaded with extras. Commentaries(audio & video), deleted scenes, bloopers, candid interviews with the cast and crew, scripts - even alternate versions of certain episodes and fan convention coverage. Really well done sets that put other TV on DVD sets to shame.

Red Dwarf.....another excellent DVD set. Also loaded with cast commentaries, bloopers ('smeg ups'), deleted scenes, documentaries, music clips...etc., etc. A really fun British Sci-fi/Comedy (emphasis on Comedy) series. [​IMG]

13. ElijahS

ElijahS Well-Known Member

Alias is definitely worth mentioning for this decade, as is Scrubs. Friends would be worth mentioning, too, since they actually add scenes into every episode and cut out the commercial fadeouts.

14. Christi P

Christi P Well-Known Member

I would suggest Remington Steele as an 80's show.

15. Linda Thompson

Linda Thompson Well-Known Member

The Hercules and Xena sets are all good, too...great commentaries from both cast members and creative personnel, and some good extras. Also, the first season Hercules set included all five of the Action Pack movies which preceeded the series, one of which had been broadcast, but otherwise had never been released in ANY format...a definite gem for long-time completist fans. (All sets - of both shows - were also available in Best Buy Exclusive versions.)

16. Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner Well-Known Member

Julio,

You may wish to mention Freaks and Geeks. The show had a brief run and was cancelled before the end of the first season. Nevertheless, the show's 18 episodes display excellent writing, acting, and direction. All episodes are UNCUT. All exhibit excellent film-to-video transfers. All licensed music is presented INTACT.

Supplemental material for each and every episode is included -- deleted scenes, one or two commentaries per episode (featuring all major and several minor cast members {either as themselves or in character}, the entire writing and production staff, studio execs, etc.), cast auditions, and so forth.

The six-disc "regular" set is one of the best TV-on-DVD releases of all time, and the eight-disc limited edition (packaged in a High School Yearbook) is even better, with two extra discs of table reads, cast & crew interviews, and other materials.

This set has no flaws of any kind (that I know of) and either meets or exceeds my expectations in every other area. As much as I love Star Trek, Seinfeld, Buffy, and many other shows, I would have to say Freaks and Geeks is the best TV-on-DVD boxed set ever made.

BTW, Buffy may not meet the high standards you have set for inclusion in your article. Many episodes on DVD lack the "Previously on Buffy..." intros that were present in the original broadcasts. This doesn't bother me personally, but I understand why a purist may object to this flaw.

17. Andy_Bu

Andy_Bu Well-Known Member

Babylon 5 for the shear top quality of the series and some nice extras

Farscape: Starburst Edition for a great series and extrodinary extras (both in quality and quantity).

Sopranos: Mostly for the quality of the series, but the video and audio is top notch and contains just enough extras to make it into a list like this IMO

Andy

18. ElijahS

ElijahS Well-Known Member

Also: Arrested Development.

19. TravisR

TravisR Well-Known Member

No music is replaced in Buffy.

20. Mike Williams

Mike Williams Well-Known Member

LOST -- great, unique show with superb picture and sound quality and a ton of extras.

Desperate Housewives -- same as above.

Dead Zone -- great writing, good performances, outstanding anamorphic video and commentary on every single episode as well as other extras.

Arrested Development -- hands down, the funniest, most clever show on television and DVD will soon be the only way to enjoy it since the American public is too supid to embrace an intelligent show, but loves "The War at Home" and "Stacked."