What's new

Recommendation for theater subwoofers? (1 Viewer)

nystad

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jon
Well I spent 30 min talking with very helpful knowledgeable guy with SVS. Went with two of these cylinder subs. http://www.svsound.com/subwoofers/cylinder/pc12-nsd#.UOTfb2t5mSN I have a feeling I'm going to be impressed. Thanks for the help.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Don't do like most people and just drop off the face of the earth. At least post your impression of the SVS subs so that others can use this thread when they are looking for a sub.

nystad

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jon
Absolutely!! I appreciate the help. Once I get it tweaked ill give full review. For what it'll be worth comn from someone without much insight.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
That's even better. The guys with less experience can relate to you. I'm a bass snob and my expectations are MUCH higher than the average person.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Robert_J said:
That's even better. The guys with less experience can relate to you. I'm a bass snob and my expectations are MUCH higher than the average person.
You should see the looks I get in my SACD/DVD-A room. Off in the corner is this "ugly black box" that creates "thunder from the Heavens" (as one of my friends said as we were demoing a HiRes of Dark Side of the Moon)... He asked what kind of sub is that? I said it was a "mutt". The story of that sub... Started out as a $1 garage sale find. A JBL DPS12(DPS series are know for how S####Y the amps are) with a dead amp. Got it home spent 20 minutes removing the plate amp and making a new wooden piece to go over the hole. Cut another hole for speaker terminals. A whole $4 into this(used a scrap piece of wood I had laying around)...ready for an amp. Decided to use a Krell mono block. (I buy/sell used AV equipment and I probably paid $500-ish for this amp, it had been dropped...but it worked. One of the binding posts on the back had been snapped off during "the drop". I just took a piece of 14 gauge wire and soldered right onto the nub that was still there.) The original DPS 12" finally died(heck that will happen when you go from a wheezing plate amp to real beef) Put in a driver from an Infinity Kappa(the rest of the Kappa was "done")... Here I had a sub with maybe, maybe, $525 in it.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The Kappas and Kappa Perfects were never really big sellers in the car audio market and Infinity stopped the production on them just as the DIY sub market found them. A few guys picked them up for a steal and made some great subs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks