1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Recommendation for Highend CD player

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by pink, Oct 18, 2008.

1. pink

pink Well-Known Member

I am looking for a Highend CD Player. I am not up to date with new CD Players. I do have to get one for music, Blue Ray Players just don't get it. Picture is great but soundquality to me is very poor. Maybe some one can recommend a good CD Player for a reasonable price. The last player I bought was about ten years ago for $4000.-- but I sold it, actually to buy a Blue Ray. Times have changed so I am looking for something good at a decend price. Thanks for any suggestions.

2. Gilpinrysry

Gilpinrysry Member

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Gilpinrysry

Gilpinrysry Member

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Alon Goldberg

Alon Goldberg Well-Known Member

Hi Roger, my system currently consists of a Naim CD5x ($3,250.00) with a Naim FlatCap-2x power supply ($1,250.00). Absolutely astounding for CD playback, by far the best I've heard in this price range. However, this CD Player needs to properly matched with pre-amp, poweramp and speakers in order to truly reach its potential. What system do you presently own?

http://www.tnt-audio.com/sorgenti/naim_cd5x_e.html
    http://www.enjoythemusic.com/Magazin...tem_review.htm
    http://www.stereophile.com/cdplayers/1104naim/

Also for far less money I would strongly consider a Marantz CD5001 or Rega Apollo, both are excellent contenders and very easy to match with most systems

Cheers,
    Alon

5. Dave N.

Dave N. Well-Known Member

6. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll Well-Known Member

Have you considered switching to a PC based audio system? Rip your CDs to a hard drive and play them back through a Slim Devices Squeeze Box 3 or a Transporter with a really good DAC, possibly modified.

7. Alon Goldberg

Hi Dan, the Squeezebox 3 is very good (I own one as well for streaming FLAC), however it's still not quite on par with a good CD Player. Though I've heard many people have had excellent results with the SB3 with a Benchmark DAC-1 or Behringer DAC.

But you do make for a good point with the Transporter, which combines a streaming music player with an oustanding DAC (no need to purchase an outboard DAC with this solution)

Cheers,
    Alon

8. pink

pink Well-Known Member

How to these players compare to the old Camelot Roundtable which I paid 4000.00 about ten years ago (and regret that I sold to go Blue Ray) or the Nakamichi 10S which I also let go cheap.

9. Alon Goldberg

I wouldn't know, I haven't heard either of those CD players.. your best bet is to go and audition several players, and if possible ask for a home demo so that you can try the new player within your own system before investing in a new player

A CD Player or turntable is a very subjective purchase, you have some good recommendations on this thread for different models to get you started

Cheers,
    Alon