What's new

Recommend me some TV on DVD (1 Viewer)

Katherine_K

Second Unit
Taking into account the kind of series out mentioned...

Wonder Woman
Stargate SG1
Stargate Atlantis
Babylon 5

Anthony W

Auditioning
Glad to see a lot of responders share my taste in shows :)

My top recommendations for shows in the sci fi/ horror type genre:

Babylon 5
Buffy the Vampire Slayer
Battlestar Galactica (the current series)
Lost

Reason being: I love arc driven series with great character development, and are hard to figure out what is going to happen next week.

Other good recommendations:

Doctor Who (current series)
Nowhere Man
American Gothic
X-Files
Forever Knight
Highlander

KyleK

Second Unit
OK, Alias, 24, Lost, Buffy, Babylon 5, and X-Files are now in the running for next series. I know Stargate is popular, but every time I have seen it on TV it just looks cheesy and bad. Maybe someone could give me an insight to its appeal? Thanks for the recommendations, keep 'em coming!

Kyle:D

ElijahS

Supporting Actor
I can't believe I forgot to mention Veronica Mars. Alias definitely, then Veronica Mars, then 24.

Linda Thompson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Linda

Great characters (well-written AND well-played), great storylines (writing) and storytelling (overall context and execution), and a level of overall "big picture" continuity very rarely seen. A relatively minor or offhand incident from one season may play into a major plotline several seasons later...sorta like real life. Overall, a very well-defined canon, which the writers respect and strive to preserve. Plus the fact that it's set in the present gives it a "here and now" freshness that's pretty unique in space-related TV sci-fi.

Just my (admittedly biased) opinions, of course... :)

BridgetJZ

Second Unit
Ok well it may not keep you busy, but it will certainly keep you entertained. I just found out that The Fuccons -- these skits I watch on Anime Network On Demand are coming to DVD really soon. It's not going to be very pricey, since it is a compilation of a bunch of the skits, so it'll definitely be worth it. Anyone else ever seen them?

Here's the DVD info: http://www.icv2.com/articles/news/7789.html

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
You start a thread like this, and most are gonna indiscriminately dump their favorites on you. Guy said he liked: Twin Peaks, Firefly, Smallville, and Batman: The Animated Series.

What on earth do Friends, Frasier, Dynasty, Gilmore Girl, One Tree Hill and the like have to do with the above???!!!!

In the same vein as the series the originator liked, I would recommend: Babylon 5, Buffy, Angel and perhaps Lost, and to a lesser extent Alias.

24 is in it's own class, has very little to do with the original sample, but it's so unique ya got to at least try it, you will be instantly hooked or you will know immediately it's not for you. It's not at all the kind of show that grows on you...

Last, you liked liked Firefly, you're into fantasy/SF, I would think Buffy and Angel by the same creator would be a no-brainer?

--
H

BridgetJZ

Second Unit

That's actually why I suggested the Fuccons DVD-- not exactly as mainstream as something like Friends-- in fact, it is not mainstream at all which makes it more unique and enjoyable-- I only would suggest it to those I believe would be interested in something a bit stranger than the norm.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks