What's new

Recommend me a sub/speakers please (1 Viewer)

jonnyMa

Agent
Just wondering could someone recommend me a good subwoofer and speakers for around $400 each(I have $1200 to spend on audio, so I decided to spend $300 on receiver and $100 on cables and the rest on speakers/subwoofer is this alright?). Thanks.

SethH

Senior HTF Member
Well, there are lots of things out there. Two to consider are the Ascend Acoustics 340's -- maybe with the 200's as surrounds, with an SVS or Hsu sub. Or you could consider the SVS SBS speaker package and spend a little more on the receiver.

scott>c

Second Unit
I`d recommend the svs speaker package also and try and get a used Panasaonic digital receiver. The sa-xr 10 and 25 can usually be had for around 150. That should keep u in budget and they r fine receivers for the money.

NickSI

Stunt Coordinator
Ok now i dont want to start anything. my hands are up and im not looking for a fight. but jonny just try this, go to homedepot and price out the same gague wire and see the difference in price. with the money saved you can get better speakers. And i do realize the worth of expensive wire, but money goes a lot further in speakers or recievers.

jonnyMa

Agent
Wow those svs speaker sure look tempting. But im afraid their just not feasible for me as it would cost a few hundred to ship(if they would ship to ireland) and then Id probably have to pay import duty of around 21%:angry: . svs distributor in England(av-sales.co.uk) have them for £950($1650) and thats not including shipping so that gives you an idea. Also Id be in big trouble if something went wrong(their obviously a top quality product but its nice to have something to fall back on)

Its very frustrating not living in the states as Im very limited in my choice. An option I was thinking of was going for speakers from a more mainstream brand like sony, panasonic, phillips etc. as then it would simply be a case of going to my local dealer and ordering them in.

How do people rate those hsu ventriloquist speakers with a decent hsu sub. Would that be any good?

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
The HSU setup is a good setup too but you would run into the same problem with import duties and shipping costs.

Give Tom and Ron and email and find out what it would cost you to ship you the SBS. You never know. They might be able to get you a good deal on this setup.

jonnyMa

Agent
I should have aslo mentioned it is a rather small room. Its only about 14 foot long and 9 foot wide and 8 foot high. Would the svs package have too much ooomph for a room of this size? Thanks.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

No such thing as too much "ooomph". The receiver has a volume knob for that. Better to overbuy (within reason) and have the headroom to turn it up if you want than to underbuy and not have the "ooomph" you need.

Don Scott

Stunt Coordinator

If possible, I would stay away from speakers from these companies. Try to look for something affordable from a dedicated speaker manufacturer.

jonnyMa

Agent
Well idealy I would like to steer well clear Don. But basically what Im thinking is when I add on the shipping, import duty and potential hassle if something goes wrong would I be better just putting the money I save from shipping and import duty(which would easily be over $400) into a set up from a mainstream brand.

I contacted svs and unfortuneately they only sell to Ireland via their UK suplier which means the cost of the speaker package(without shipping) would be $1650, which is well out of budget:frowning:

Don Scott

Stunt Coordinator
The shipping is definitely a killer. With the added cost of shipping from that distance, you probably wouldn't get much value for the dollar.

What other brand speakers are available in your area? Are there brands such as JBL, Polk, Energy, Infinity, Mirage, Athena. These companies would have budget friendly speakers and surround packages and are good quality. Although I'm not sure of the prices of these in Ireland, they may be too inflated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks