What's new

Recommend me a good and the best dvd player thats not Sony for under $240.00 (1 Viewer)

MannyE

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Manny Elgarresta
I'm not brand-loyal at all, but my Sony DVP-S300 is almost 8 (maybe more..I have to check) years old and still going strong...it gets very heavy use.

I understand Sony has a habit of reverse-engineering consumer products after the first generation (for example, my bottom of the line at the time player has dual lasers where the next gen bottom didn't) to get to the lower price points...so maybe that has something to do with it.

I can't wait for it to break actually, since it doesn't even have DTS, but until it does, I really have no excuse for getting a new player.

Cahyo Wicaksono

Stunt Coordinator
Yup! no need for KRELL or some high-end nonsense.

PS: If you've witnessed the performance of Pioneer DV-59 (with HDMI and Faroudja upscaling, retails for around US$900), you won't even bat an eye on a KRELL.

MannyE

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Manny Elgarresta
I would need to see some major, and I mean really breathtaking differences to justify spending more than 1K on a player.

Build quality reaches a point of diminishing returns after you get to players like the Denon 2900 (I guess street pricce is around 900 bucks?)

Krell stuff looks nice, but come on now.

I have to confess that if I could afford the KAV and those huge blue neon amps (SEVEN OF EM!) I would so get them.

:b

But like the Ford GT40...they are oh so cool and perform oh so well, but are oh so overpriced. Maybe if there's another internet bubble....

My opinion on your player problem is to bite the bullet and move up a couple of notches to the better build quality of a mid-level player.

John Gavin

Auditioning
I just went through the new dvd player search and after a lot of research and comparisons bought the Harman Kardon DVD 25. What a machine!! I had Denon audio and video equipment in the past (still have a Denon turntable) but the DVD 25 blew me away. I just did a price search today on Epinions and found it for 250.00 and 260.00 and up.

Chris Cash

Stunt Coordinator
Hahahahahaha!!!! Oh you really told me. Anyway, I mentioned Kell being sarcastic but you never picked up on it. There is no way I could justify paying $8000 for a DVD player. Like I was saying, someone that didn't know what a chroma bug was would never notice. No one ever even knew it existed until all the articles came out on it.

~C.C.~

Scott Burke

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott B.
I have one of Sony's first generation players (6 or 7 years)I think it is the 500D and it still works like a charm after lots of heavy usage. I have recently picked up the 5 disc carousel mentioned above and have had no problems, but mine is only a month old.

Cahyo Wicaksono

Stunt Coordinator
it's better that you don't know what a chroma bug is. Your life will be better not knowing this.

I saw chroma bug before it was reported without knowing what that was. I wasn't the only one. Many people do too, including my wife.

So it's untrue that nobody knows about chroma bug before it was being reported in many articles

Stephen M

Stunt Coordinator
However, it is very true that the reaction to it is very subjective. I have a player which has the bug and I have yet to see it in regular viewing on my 55" RPTV. I was told to place the player on freeze during a portion of Toy Story to see it. I did so and there it was. So what! OTOH, I have heard of people who say it just jumps out at them during regular viewing and is highly annoying, making casual viewing impossible. The moral is to watch the player before you buy in order to see if you are one of the small number of people who cannot abide this defect.

Users who are viewing this thread