What's new

Recommend me a DVD player... (1 Viewer)

Ray Ruggaurs

Agent
Hello guys! You've probably had heaps of these type of questions, anyway your thoughts and comments would be much appreciated...

I'm thinking of buying a DVD player, here's what I want...

- Can play Divx stuff
- Would be nice if it had a DVD memory buffer so that layer changes are not noticeable
- I'm mainly looking at the major brands such as Sony, Pioneer, Panasonic etc

Price - well not an entry level model since ive got some cash to spend - so a decent mid-range model.

Anyone have any thoughts, ideas, suggestions or general comments on the different brands?

Thanks heaps!

Shane Harg

Second Unit
If you are looking for a good name brand player that can do everything you want, look no further than the Denon DVD-1930.

Alon Goldberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Alon Goldberg
For a brand name player, I'll second the Denon DVD-1930CI. If you're willing to keep smaller brands a consideration, the best choice would certainly be an Oppo 981, which is the highest rated budget player on the market.

Either model is an excellent choice.

Ray Ruggaurs

Agent
thanks heaps for the suggestion I've checked the price too and its in the range I'm in too! Now its time for some shopping!

Incidentally since you've got this machine, does it have the memory buffer to hide DVD layer changes?

Thanks again!

Shane Harg

Second Unit
Which are you talking about? The Denon or the Oppo. I don't personally own the 1930, but I am very familiar with the line and I plan on purchasing the 3930 within the next year. The 1930 has a 2mb of buffer memory for layer changes, which is sufficient to make it next to unnoticeable. Next step up for Denon is the 2930, which has an 8mb buffer, (totally unnoticeable) but is also twice the price. Of course, this is also coming from a guy, who still spins Laserdiscs (in spite of all the DVDs I own). I don't even care about the 10 second interval in the movie where the LD player has to change sides. And if the movie is more than 2 hours, I have to get up and change discs.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Lip sync issues are common for most manufacturers - it is a display issue, not a player issue. The solution is either a receiver or player that has compensation tools. A friend has the Oppo 970HD and it has lip sync issues with his LCD.

Ray Ruggaurs

Agent
From what I've read the issue appears to occur on some films when the player does its up-scaling such as at 1080p or 720p.

This shouldn't be an issue with just outputting film to an interlaced tv, correct?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks