What's new

Recommend a circular saw (1 Viewer)

Dave Crigna

Stunt Coordinator
Hey guys, it is about time I get a new circular saw. I have been looking at craftsman pro-series, dewalt, and porter. They all have 15 amp motors and carbide blades. Which of these three would you recommend and why. Thanks for any input:) .

If they are any others I should look at, please feel free to recommend.

Pete Mazz

Supporting Actor
Buy the one that feels best in your hands. They all have a little different balance, position of handles and adjustment fittings, etc.

Pete

I changed from a Craftsman to a Dewalt and could not believe the differences. The Dewalt is much quieter -- so quiet you almost don't need hearing protection. It also does not bog down like the Craftsman when cutting 3/4" mdf. It almost doesn't change pitch at all when first starting the cut. Haven't tried the porter cable circle saw -- only the plunge router, which is great as well.

Chad Anson

Second Unit
I bought a Porter Cable with the blade on the left side. Though I'm right handed, I find it much easier to see the line while I'm sawing. I think it cost about $100.

Vince Bray

Stunt Coordinator
I've got a porter and love it. The foot is very beefy and will never warp. It's a pretty light saw as well. I'm sure the dewalt is a good choice too. Pay attention to the ease of setting the depth of cut and the angle adjustment. They make a bit of difference in how convenient the saw is to use. I don't think craftsman is in the same class, pro series or not...

John E Janowitz

Second Unit
If you're looking for a circular saw, pay attention to the drive mechanism. There are standard drive and worm drive or spiral gear saws. The worm drive saws give more torque as I understand it. Better for framing, if you're cutting thicker lumber, and especially treated lumber.

I myself don't do a lot of framing so I have a standard drive porter cable 447K that has the electric brake. The brake is a feature that I would suggest looking for. The Dewalt DW378G seems to be a highly recommender as a worm drive framing saw.

John

Dave Crigna

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks guys for all the input and what to check for. Looks like its down to the porter and the dewalt. I just need a good standard drive. Hopefully I will be in mdf dust heaven by this weekend. If you guys have any particular model porter or dewalt, let me know.

Dave

Chuck Bogie

Second Unit
Well, you gotta be careful, but...

Check pawn shops... This past year I picked up a box of precision measuring tools for $40 that contained...

Mitutoyo 1" micrometer (thous)
Mitutoyo (or however it's spelled) 1" digital mike (half-tenths)
Starrett (spelling?) 1" mike (thous)
Starrett 2" mike
Starrett dial indicator (thous)

Sold everything (cheap to friends) but the Mit digital mike, made about $50 on top of now owning a coupla hundred bucks of precison measuring device.

Also picked up a Craftsman circular saw for $15. Just gotta shop around.

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
I have a Porter-Cable 743 with the blade on the left (like worm drive saws). This gives me better visibility while I'm cutting (a good thing when accuracy is a concern). I also like the adjustable dust port (you can direct the dust in any direction). This tool replaced a Craftsman saw that I owned for 1 year (the blade arbor warped after minimal usage) and the difference is night and day (PC is _way_ better). Buy quality and only buy once...

Al Garay

Stunt Coordinator
Got a Porter Cable as well... very happy with it.

I think you will do well with any of the major ones: PC, Milwaukee, Makita, Skill Worm Drive, Dewalt... Check with Sam's Club who tends to carry Porter Cable or Costco too.

Al

Bill Fagal

Stunt Coordinator
I second (third?) Chad and Greg's praise of left-side blades. Ever since I worked on a framing crew, I've wanted one of those left-blade worm-drive milwaukees. After using them, I never could figure why anyone would want to hunker over and peek at the cut over the opposite side of their saw.

Dave Crigna

Stunt Coordinator
Man, I didn't even think to check costco or sam's club. Thanks Al. I will definitely check out your guys suggestions on left handed blades. Keep them coming!!

Ronnie Ferrell

Second Unit
Does anyone have any experience with the Porter-Cable 345PC 6" Saw Boss Circular Saw? I need a saw for sheet cutting and have heard this little saw is powerful and easy to handle. I am also left-handed and the blade is on the left-hand side of this saw. Sam's has them for around $118.

Any opinions?

Bill Fagal

Stunt Coordinator
The point of a left-side blade is so right-handers can sight down a cut. So, if you're a lefty, you might want to consider a right-side blade...

Of course, it's all a matter of individual preference.

Al Garay

Stunt Coordinator
Ronnie,

I don't have experience with it (PC 6" saw) but I saw a contractor use one to install 13 windows in my last house. He plugged it into a shop vac which helped reduce a lot of the sawdust. Very maneuverable, and plenty strong enough to cut siding, 2"x4"s, etc.

You can't go wrong with Porter Cable power tools ... and you can pretend to be like Norm.

Al

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
Now I don't want you to blame me if you get crap, but I bought an 18V cordless drill from this risk site and it's served quite well for the past month.

Generic Circular Saw

I just figured it should at least beat the Craftsman and is a tad cheaper. :D

J/K, I probably wouldn't buy it.

Ronnie Ferrell

Second Unit
Thanks Al for the saw boss info! I cannot find one bad review for the saw boss. Everyone seems to love it and it has been around for about 10 years now. The only down side is the selection of 6" blades locally. But they are easy to find on the net.

rf

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks