What's new

Reciever for 2.1 setup (1 Viewer)

kjrayo

Auditioning
Real Name
kelvin
Hey guys im looking for a reciever to power up two sony bookshelf speakers and a passive subwoofer. ive been looking online but cant find one which will power the subwoofer. if you guys know a decent one please help me out my budget it 150 i could spend a little more if its really worth it. thanks in advance!

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
There are passive subs where you run the speaker out from the receiver to the sub, and a separate line from the sub to the speaker. The sub plays the low frequencies and passes the highs on to the speaker. Is that how yours is to be wired? The only receivers that I've ever seen that came with a dedicated output for a passive sub are ones which were sold as part of a home theater in a box.

Decent entry level 5.1 speaker systems which come with a receiver and a powered sub can be found for around $300. Rather than spending $150 for a receiver to power your existing speakers you might be better off saving a bit more money and getting a complete package.

kjrayo

Auditioning
Real Name
kelvin
i would be lying if i told u wat model it is bcuz i cant find it online.all i know its a klh i hookedit up to my home theater system which gives it power but im trying to hooke it up to my computer along with the two book case speakers. only thing in the back is a red and black cable

kjrayo

Auditioning
Real Name
kelvin
i think your right i just dont know what to do with the sony speakers and the sub lol seems like a waste

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
kjrayo said:
oh ok so basically my speakers and sub are worthless lol grrr
KLH? Probably. How about just getting some computer speakers? http://www.theaudioinsider.com/product_info.php?loudspeakers=swan-active-desktop-sound&p=swan-m10-active-desktop-loudspeaker-system%2C-white&cPath=21_24&products_id=89&osCsid=0c776d70014329234f62a98366fe3da2 http://www.theaudioinsider.com/product_info.php?loudspeakers=swan-active-desktop-sound&p=swan-m50w-active-desktop-loudspeaker-system&cPath=21_24&products_id=167&osCsid=0c776d70014329234f62a98366fe3da2 http://www.theaudioinsider.com/index.php?loudspeakers=swan-active-desktop-sound&cPath=21_24&osCsid=0c776d70014329234f62a98366fe3da2 There's many more out there. Or search your local Craigslist.

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
In the initial post you didn't mention that this was a setup for a computer. With a bit of shopping around you can get a decent set of stereo computer speakers and a powered sub for about $30. The more you pay the more you get, so $150 will get you a computer system that is far and beyond anything that your existing speakers and passive sub are capable of.

Unless you are using your computer to provide sound for a patio or a garage then it's not even worth trying to preserve the old speakers. It's time to move on.

kjrayo

Auditioning
Real Name
kelvin
Well they arent old speakers I got them a while ago. Sony SS-b1000s. I think im going to go ahead and by some logitech z623's since they look ok and are going for 100. so I can also buy a decent sound card.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks