What's new

Receiver woes (1 Viewer)

Edwin_D

Grip
My 8 year old Yamaha 1103 receiver was hit by a surge today. Now it will power up, but after a few seconds there is a clicking noise from the speakers, and it shuts off.

My question has two parts: 1) What might it cost to get it fixed? 2) If I don't get it fixed, how happy do you think I would be on a short term basis with a Harman Kardon AVR 135? I think I can get a pretty good deal on one.

Tom Donaghue

Stunt Coordinator
Based on the age of the receiver, I think you'd benefit from an upgrade to a newer model as opposed to repair. However, if you're very attached to it, you may want to consider it and at least have it spec'd out by a repair shop.

If you're considering an HK AVR135 as an interim solution, this would be a decent receiver for a budget consious decision. My question to you would be are you planning to use the receiver more for music or movies? In addition to this, what is the budget for a replacement receiver? There are a few other options you may be just as pleased with if not happier than the HK, but w/out knowing your budget, it's a little difficult to make any other suggestions in this area... -TD

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
It would probably cost you at least $25 to get an estimate, which they would apply to the cost of the repair if you get it repaired. My guesstimate on the cost of the repairs, $125-$150.

I can't really comment on the HK 135, don't know enough about it.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
The world of receivers has changed a fair bit lot in 8 years. Unless yours was a particularly high-quality receiver, I expect you'll be much better served by buying a new unit. Features like DPLIIx and 6.1 or 7.1 outputs can now be found in sub-$300 receivers. Slighlty more expensive products have multiple component-video inputs. HDMI connectors may even be affordable.

This was all rather pricey, if even available, 8 years ago :)

(I marvel that my 6-year old Onkyo, which retailed for $800, is now outdone by today's $300 models.)

Edwin_D

Grip
Ok...I took the plunge and bought a refurb Onkyo 303 receiver from a place on Ebay. I know it isn't going to be my long-term main receiver, but it will get me by. My question is this: What mode is equivalent to straight DTS or straight Dolby Digital when I am watching a movie? The modes I am seeing are a little confusing. PL II Movie, Neo6:Cinema, and Direct seem like the likely choices, to me. Overall, apart from the lack of binding posts on the back, I am fairly pleased with my new acquisition. (My 12 gauge wire doesn't fit well into spring terminals).

Edwin_D

Grip
Ok...I took the plunge and bought a refurb Onkyo 303 receiver from a place on Ebay. I know it isn't going to be my long-term main receiver, but it will get me by. My question is this: What mode is equivalent to straight DTS or straight Dolby Digital when I am watching a movie? The modes I am seeing are a little confusing. PL II Movie, Neo6:Cinema, and Direct seem like the likely choices, to me. Overall, apart from the lack of binding posts on the back, I am fairly pleased with my new acquisition. (My 12 gauge wire doesn't fit well into spring terminals).

Edwin_D

Grip

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks