1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Receiver upgrade

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Fordman1, Jan 27, 2008.

1. Fordman1

Fordman1 New Member

Hi All,
    Getting ready to do a upgrade on HT setup and i'm doing my research to replace my Sony STRDE935.
    The speaker i'm using are Infinity IL40's,CC-2 center channel and BU-2 sub.
    What would you recomend for a budget of $700.
    The TV looks like I'm going to go with the Pan TH-42PZ700U. Thanks

2. joe277

joe277 Member

Best receivers under a grand... Onkyo. At least in my opinion and that of many reviewers. Onkyo 605 retails for $500 and the Onkyo 705 for $800. Might find a better price online. 705 has a little more power, THX select2 certified, and has 3 HDMI inputs (605 has only 2). Both sound great and have HDMI 1.3 inputs. Handles all the new HD uncompressed formats. Yamaha's get some great reviews at the under $1000 mark, but i'm not sure about features. Good luck.

p.s. Any particular reason your going with the 700u over the 77u?

3. Fordman1

Fordman1 New Member

Sorry for the delay in getting back.
    Thanks for your advice. I've been looking into the Onkyo's and i'm definitely leaning towards the 705. The Yamaha's are nice but your right in that the Onkyo's do seem to have a lot of positive things written about them.The 700U is the model I was able to see in the store. They did not have the 77U on display. What are your thoughts?

4. joe277

joe277 Member

Well, the differences between the two TVs are minimal. They are about the same price, but the 77u has a higher contrast ratio. it's missing a couple features, but nothing that most people use. Check out the Panasonic website for the feature list. They're both great TV's. Good luck.

5. keithVANhorn

keithVANhorn Well-Known Member

I would go for either a Yamaha RX-V661 or a HK AVR-347. Both will sound as good if not better than the Onkyo.

6. Buckethead78

Buckethead78 Well-Known Member

i concur on the HK 347. I know the Onkyo's have more features (new HD-DVD audio)...but its all about the sound.

7. Seth=L

Seth=L Well-Known Member

The Onkyo TX-SR805 can be had for around $700 online. It's a 50 pound monster. It's power benchtests rival that of the $5000 Onkyo TX-NR1000 (72 pounds) and $6000 Denon AVR-5805 (97 pounds).

Refer to Sound and Vision mag for details. The Onkyo TX-SR875's bench tests are there. The Onkyo TX-SR805 and TX-SR875 use the same amplifier (though the manufacturer's specs indicate they are different, they are not).

As far as one receiver sounding better than the Onkyo, that's bogus. The Onkyo has power and features, those are the things you should be looking at. The Onkyo is a neutral piece of equipment, unless you are using DSP modes, which vary from manufacturer to manufacturer.[​IMG]

8. Bopicasso

Bopicasso Member

I bought the onk 805 from vanns.com for 699. I love it! I upgraded from a HK 347. I was fed up with the hk. Sound was good but if you want to use it for hdmi switching forget about it! It was a good audio avr but Terrible video avr. Remote was a headache also. Onkyo is by far a better user friendly product with a night and day difference in listening options and capabilities.
    I LOVE IT! Very happy. And it sounds alot better with movies than the hk did. But the hk did have better sound for music..