What's new

Receiver to tame RF-7? (1 Viewer)

Shawn C

Screenwriter
Here goes:

I just picked up my new Klipsch RF-7's on Saturday and love them. I have read about the Yamaha/RF-7 combo being a little too 'bright'. I agree! My combination is now a little too bright for my tastes, but there is no way I am returning these speakers. I am currently using a Yamaha RX-V1000 receiver.

Anyways, I am looking to buy a new receiver and am looking in the $500.00 +/- range. I don't need a ton of power since I run Klipsch all the way around, and as we all know, they are pretty sensitive. I use hardly any of the features of my 1000 now. I don't use a center rear for the 6.1. I don't really use any of the DSP functions.

All I really need is Dolby Digital & DTS decoding, 6-channel input for DVD-A. 2 optical and 1 coax digital audio inputa. I don't use my receiver for video switching, so video bandwidth isn't an issue.

So, basically, I am looking for a good SOUNDING $500 receiver without a bunch of special 'features' and that has a nice neutral/laid back sound to tame my RF-7's

I was thinking Outlaw/Marantz of Denon. Are these generally more 'laid back' sounding receivers?

KyleGS

Second Unit
I've always thought of H/K and Klipsch pairing very well. HK is pretty laid back. Marantz and NAD are also great matches with your horns. I've not heard the Denon with the Klipsch's but I have heard people with differing responses on that. Some say Denon= slightly bright and some say slightly warm. I dunno much about the personality of the Outlaw units. G'luck!!

BTW- how is the bass response on your RF-7's? What kind of extension are you getting?

Shawn C

Screenwriter
As far as bas response goes, it's going! The bass is outstanding and I would say that in terms of total low frequency quality - it is around 75-80% of my SVS 16-46CS+.

I have my speakers set to large and am letting the SVS handle only the LFE channel on DVDs. For music, I am not running the SVS at all and I'm not missing it.

Mike_J_D

Stunt Coordinator
NAD would be a nice choice...but you might be hard pressed to find one in your price range. They are a wonderful company. H/K might work as well. I use to run Klipsch. And had them hooked up to my Denon 2801 and I thought it sounded just right. But that was with my ears. Good luck.

Frank Carter

Screenwriter
I recently had a HK AVR520 powering my Klipsch RF-3II, it sounded very similar to my Parasound HCA-855A. It's probably the the best receiver match I've found for Klipsch.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
You'll get more of what you're looking to achieve by eliminating/moderating/diffusing the reflective surfaces of your room. If you'd care to either post a pic of where the system is or maybe delve into what's on the floor, walls, maybe we can explore this a bit.

Chris A H

Stunt Coordinator
I have the Marantz SR-7200 with Klipsch all around and I love it. Not "bright" or "harsh." Accurate is the best way I can describe it.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
The sony 4ES or 2ES might be something else to consider. Out of the box it is slightly bright, but w/ the quasi-parametric EQ you can taylor the sound exactly how you want it. It has plenty of power and is more tweakable than any other receiver in the price range. At 51lb, the 4ES is a monster too... very well built.

Dean Arizona

Agent
My two cents. I have the whole Rf-7 surround speaker package (including the RC-7 Center and RS-7 surrounds). I drove the "7's" with a Sony ES Receiver for about a year and the sound was "bright" in the way that these horn loaded honeys are well known for and widely discussed within this forum. I upgraded to a B&K Ref 50 pre/pro with ATI 150 series amps(150/watts P/C is more than what's needed for Klipsch). I understand these amps are being succeeded by more powerful cousins - so deals are probably out there). The difference between the ES and the B&K REF 50 is truly remarkable. The the brightness of the sound stage has been completely tamed. I'm not very good at describing the subjective elements of the qualities of sound like others do so well in this forum. The best description I can give is that the differences between Sony ES and the '50 approximates what my Maggies (MMG's)sounded like after about 100 hours of break-in. Any harshness just vanished. My point is that I recommend that you acquire the best possible receiver based sound processing you can afford and possibly supplement on board amplification with a high quality external amp. For some reason certain Japanese receivers just don't compliment the Klipsch design. Good luck.

Andy F

Stunt Coordinator
currently, i've got RF3s and an HK 500. I love the combination. HKs are definitely a "smoother" sound than yamaha or Denon. I think they match perfectly with klipsch speakers and balance each other out very nicely.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
You'll get more of what you're looking to achieve by eliminating/moderating/diffusing the reflective surfaces of your room. If you'd care to either post a pic of where the system is or maybe delve into what's on the floor, walls, maybe we can explore this a bit.
This is an option but I fear its going to be either undoable or more costly than replacing the speakers or finding a non bright receiver. I fear that more than likely the speakers are not the right choice for you at all.

Michael R Price

Screenwriter
Don't buy a receiver, especially an under $500 one. It would probably help most to buy a good quality separate stereo amplifier (maybe even tubed) to power the RF-7s, and use the Yamaha as a processor and amplifier for the surround channels. Playing with placement, and maybe also room treatments, should help too.

Shawn C

Screenwriter
Thanks for the information everybody! It looks like there is a minor majority recommending the H/K and Marantz receivers.

I really love my Yamaha receiver and wouldn't be looking for any other receiver if it wasn't for this "brightness".

Now, if I could just get someone to buy my RX-V1000 (In the For Sale section....... :D ) I'd be set!

Hmmm...That 7200 is looking pretty good...

CurtisC

Second Unit
Denon and rf7's are a natural,I have tried onkyo,forget it,I tried sony es,not even close,HK was ok,Yamaha tooo thin.The Denon could have been designed to work with the rf's by the sound,imho.I use the 3803,the 3802 can be had for about 600.00 now,you'd be better off to wait and save than settle for less.

Shawn C

Screenwriter
I've got another question. Where does this 'bright' or 'laid back' sound come from in an integrated recevier? It is in the processing or in the amplifier section?

The reason I ask is that I have also thought about just using the Yamaha as a Pre/Pro and possibly buying a multi-channel amplifier.

Would this be another solution?

Michael R Price

Screenwriter
Shawn,

It's from both; the circuits in receivers aren't usually very good quality. But it's easier to just upgrade your amplifier, since preamp/processors are generally more expensive.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
I've got another question. Where does this 'bright' or 'laid back' sound come from in an integrated recevier? It is in the processing or in the amplifier section?
Probably neither,it's a perception.
If you wan't real solutions, then either dump the speakers,or change the acoustic properties of the room.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks