What's new

Receiver shutting off (1 Viewer)

Clintononkyo

Auditioning
Real Name
Clinton
Question for anybody. During movies, when an action scene comes up and the volume increases, my Onkyo TX-SR606 just shuts off. I turn it right back on at a lower volume at it works fine. Have you, or anyone you know, have issues like this? And I am talking it shuts off in the 40-45 volume range. I have PolkAudio RM6750 hooked up to it.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
This is usually caused by a single strand of speaker wire touching something it shouldn't. It's a protection built in, so you don't fry your receiver. Double check both ends of each speaker wire. Retwist and reconnect them, being very careful when doing so. Very easy for one of the single strands, to get pushed to the side, while doing this.
Good luck!

dnav

Auditioning
Real Name
Dan
I had a simiular problem with my Denon AVR-4306. I found that I had selected both a Surround A+B setting in which over loaded the single speakers I had wired to both inputs. I did this to allow the speakers to be used as Rear Surround in 7.1 and as Surround in a 5.1. The loud action would turn off the system. Correcting the setup to only use the A speaker and not both A+B fixed the problem.

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
My Onkyo TX-787 would always go into thermal protect when I ran my front L/R's as Large and had the shorting staps installed to tie the crossovers together (the 10" passive subs are on a separate crossover network from the Mids/Highs) and the receiver simply did not have the guts to drive them.

I now run an Onkyo SR806 with two of the channels reassigned for Bi-Amp, I run the mains with the straps removed and drive the 10" subs off two channels and the mids/highs off two more channels and everything is hunky dory.

There can be numerous issues that can cause thermal protect, like dead shorts as has been described, but another big issue is sometimes the receiver just doesn't have the guts to do the task at hand.

When I ran my 787 I added the M282 power amp and never had any more issues with it going into protect. Simply stated, for my setup I need four channels of power for my main two speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks