What's new

Receiver Recommendations (1 Viewer)

gl4662

Agent
Real Name
John
So, dont mean to be naggy, but this set up SVS speakers, SVS sub, and Onyko 606 will sound A LOT better than the bose acoustimass 16 right? haha Thanks!

Panevino

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Santino Perrelli
I also prefer to do the calibration myself but since Greg is very new to all of this I thought using the automic setup might be a better idea.

I wasn't suggesting that he should do the calibration himself -- was just explaining all the different viewpoints and that I personally care to final tweak by ear.

Of course there is. Just like there is better circuitry inside an Onkyo 905 than in a 505. Or a Denon 4308 and 1508. Pioneers standard line includes the 518, 818, 918 and 1018 ranging in price from $199 to $699. The Elite series includes the 90, 91, 92 and 94 from $699 to 1699. The Elite series is obviously an extention of their standard line. Pioneer differentiates their upper end models from their lower end with a name and model change. Denon and Yamaha take a somewhat different approach by selling basically the same receivers in higher end retailers with different model numbers. The Denon 988 and 2808 are pretty much the exact same receiver. Just sold in different places. Onkyo has Integra as their upper end brand but their models are very simular to the 805, 875 and 905. Just marketed to a different clientel. As for Pioneers build quality, I don't think there's a big difference between the standard and Elite models. They're both excellent. And as good, and in my opinion, even a little better than most other brands. But we're arguing over nickels and dimes here. All the receivers mentioned in this thread are of very good quality and value.

But that's the whole thing here, isn't it? You made it seem like "Elite" was a moniker "slapped on" a regular Pioneer receiver, and it really isn't -- the same thing is true with your example of Onkyo and Integra, or even TASCAM and TEAC...many people would like to compare these situations to Honda/Acura, Toyota/Lexus, etc. but in some way's they're different -- Elite is really more than a "rebadged" basic Pioneer. That company's "basic" stuff is ridiculously basic and isn't really "undressed" Elite componentry...that's all I wanted the OP to realize.

pink

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
roger walters
Would you recommend I go up to the 805 or would the 606 be sufficient for my setup? thanks Gene![/quote]
Let me tell you a little secret about HT, nothing is ever sufficient enough once the original high wares off. It's all just a temporary fix. Once you're hooked you're in it for the long run.

Panevino

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Santino Perrelli
Let me tell you a little secret about HT, nothing is ever sufficient enough once the original high wares off. It's all just a temporary fix. Once you're hooked you're in it for the long run.[/quote]

My G-D, is that the truth! :eek: :frowning: :angry:

gl4662

Agent
Real Name
John
Well I went for the onyko 606, the price was just unbeatable. I think it was a good choice for my first Receiver!

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Well, it wasn't my intention to imply that the Elite and standard series were different in name only (but remember, a few years ago the "Elite" 52tx and 1014 were almost identical on the inside so it has happened), just that the Elite series takes over where the standard series leaves off. But I don't feel the "Elite" name carries the same cache that it used to (except maybe the SC-09tx. That thing is a beast!). And if the standard seems ridiculously basic it's because the standard series offers fewer features and is marketed thru big box stores to the average consumer whereas the Elite is sold thru specialty stores to a more knowledgable consumer. But I still feel the 1018 is an upgrade over the 606 (closer to the 705). BTW, I currently own an Elite 59txi (from a time when an "Elite" really was :) ) and a standard series 1014 and have had an Onkyo HT-500 and a 702. They are all fine products with excellent build quality, but I'd take the Pioneers over the Onkyo's. But just by a little bit. But we all have our own opinions about this stuff.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
A very good choice indeed (along with the SVS package). Many around here would kill to have your first setup!

Panevino

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Santino Perrelli
Well, it wasn't my intention to imply that the Elite and standard series were different in name only

Oh, okay -- it sounded that way, so that was why I wanted the OP to know the difference.

(but remember, a few years ago the "Elite" 52tx and 1014 were almost identical on the inside so it has happened), just that the Elite series takes over where the standard series leaves off.

Yes -- it takes over where that basic gear leaves off, and seemingly, from what I have heard in demo rooms, makes all the difference -- don't get me wrong here; I'm no Pioneer proponent...I don't even care for their stuff compared to Onkyo, but I just thought the difference needed to be stated. ;)

But I don't feel the "Elite" name carries the same cache that it used to (except maybe the SC-09tx. That thing is a beast!).

You're probably right...

And if the standard seems ridiculously basic it's because the standard series offers fewer features and is marketed thru big box stores to the average consumer whereas the Elite is sold thru specialty stores to a more knowledgable consumer.

Nahhhh, Gene...it's more than that...believe me. Have you ever felt the $300 or so Pioneer receiver? Ever lift it? It's ridiculous. It's got like...no guts. Their stuff really is bottom of the barrel until you move up.

But I still feel the 1018 is an upgrade over the 606 (closer to the 705). BTW, I currently own an Elite 59txi (from a time when an "Elite" really was :) ) and a standard series 1014 and have had an Onkyo HT-500 and a 702. They are all fine products with excellent build quality, but I'd take the Pioneers over the Onkyo's. But just by a little bit. But we all have our own opinions about this stuff.

I suppose so; I think Onkyo components have an excellent build quality and use attention to detail elements like excellent transformers and solid, clean aluminum faceplates. I don't even think of (basic) Pioneer in the same breath as Onkyo or Denon.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
It is true that they do seem a little on the light side, but they are notoriously reliable and trouble free. Only issue I have with Onkyo is they do run pretty hot. But below the $500 range I usually recommend the Onkyo 5xx and 6xx models to others because of their big bang for the buck and their ease of use. And I think the 606 will be a great avr for Greg. But personally, I think the 1018 will also be a great value when the street price comes down. And I am a little biased towards Poneer right now. Even though it's a little old, my 59txi is a wonderful receiver.

Panevino

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Santino Perrelli

Yes, the Onkyos run pretty hot. I have always given my receivers plenty of ventilation, and my 605 is now in an open Bell'O audio rack, so I have no problems. But I don't know why everyone recommends Onkyo just for super economy class; have you ever heard their THX certified line or their flagship models in action? They're really wicked. The build quality is insane, too.

As for the cheap Pioneers, well, that's your stance; at the end of the day, I don't like 'em and I think they are really in the super budget class. I am an Onkyo buff and you a Pioneer buff. I hope the OP is happy in his choice -- I just needed him to know that amps like the TX-SR606 are not only for running in "bedroom systems" -- I have my '605 running my main theater, and she's been a beast so far...the 90 watts per channel seem to be feeding my Polk 5.1 array just fine; I wouldn't even think of putting a receiver like this in a bedroom personally. :crazy:

pink

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
roger walters
I think you made the right choice. My first 5.1 System was an Onkyo 100 wattsX5, cost me $1100.00, but I got many years of enjoyment out of it, as long as it is high current it will work just fine for now...

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I wouldn't consider myself a buff of any brand (not that's there anything wrong with it!). I think they all have something to offer. There are a couple I'd shy away from but I really don't want to get into that here.

Panevino

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Santino Perrelli
I stopped by Best Buy this morning and I have to say, you are right on this one. The entry level Pioneers ( 518, 818, 918) are pretty light compared to other models in their price range.

Indeed...what turns me off even more about the non-Elite stuff is that Best Buy sells them...:rolleyes:

But they seem to work fairly well for what they are. But the 1018 is pretty hefty and is much closer to the Elite series than the standard one. I think it could hold it's own against comparable Onkyo and Denon models.

Okay; that's your opinion, and everyone's entitled to it, Gene...I respectfully disagree, but that's why we're all human!

I wouldn't consider myself a buff of any brand

OK; my apologies.

Paul Kemp

Agent
Real Name
Paul
Do not be deceived by weight.

Light though the Pioneer models unquestionably are, there are two other things to consider. The first is that the 'old' generation of Pioneers - pre-HDMI - had a lot of superfluous physical materials (oversized heat syncs, ferrous materials in the feet, 3D 'spaceless' chassis) which contributed the greater proportion of what had even the mid-price kit coming it at around 50lbs. A lot of this was shed for the HDMI-compatible kit, to keep costs down and so that the money saved could be reinvested in the digital sections - which are much improved and do not typically add to the weight of a product like this.

The second is that these Pioneers - even the 'baby' VSX-1018 - are still prodigiously powerful, at least the equal of the Denons/Onkyos in this regard (perhaps better). This kind of power would have cost an arm and a leg not five years ago.

People who choose Pioneer should be influenced more about other aspects of their design philosophy than the obvious - their use of Motorola based processing (controversial and unusual), their use of judicious feedback techniques to keep distortions low (a deliberate design philosophy which tailors the products very much to the Japanese market, and one which does have a very direct impact on sound quality).

The Denons are my personal favourite at present - The AVR-3808, for example, is leagues ahead of the AVR-3806 as an engineering achievement. Very good indeed :)

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
$700 is more than enough money for a good NEW receiver (what the heck is happening to HTF).

The Onkyo is a good choice, from past experience with their entry-ish level models.

--
H

Paul Kemp

Agent
Real Name
Paul

What do you mean 'what the heck is happenning'?

My advice is based upon the principle of providing people with the best possible performance for the budget allocated. $700 here at least would buy something like what I think in the USA was called the AVR-5803 in the second hand market. As an engineering triumph no $700 'new' receiver can match equipment like this, HD-compatible or not.

Of course, if other things (warranty, connectivity) matter more than performance then your recommendation becomes perhaps more astute. If you have a valid reason for undermining the credibility of mine then go ahead and share it.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member

The Best Buy I visited last night had a stack of 1018s for $599. I opted for the 918 though, since it did everything I wanted for $250+ less. Haven't had a chance to hook it up yet to report on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks