What's new

Receiver recommendations with 4 ohm speakers (1 Viewer)

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
No, I'm not taking it personal...........
I don't care to see someone try to turn others off on something, because they had a bad experience with one or two. It may be the reason, and probably is, the repair shop got more JVCs, because that was the brand that the local stores were selling. I have found most towns that have several stores selling stereo equipment (a few yrs. ago, like you said), all sell the same brand. Once in a while one store might sell another, but on the most part, they all sold the same stuff.
If most of the stores in my town sell Sony, then the repair shop is gonna be full of Sonys, etc.......
Like I said......myself and a lot of others have never had a problem with our JVCs, so we tend to recommend them, as being good, reliable equipment. Then someone that happened to get a bad one, which anyone with any common sense knows it can happen, comes along and plants a seed saying the repair shop was full of them.......... You could have just as easily said, " I had a bad experience with one before." Just don't try to give the impression they're the sorriest stuff out there, by saying the repair shops are full of them. If you don't like them.........fine. Don't try to turn everyone else against them.

C

Chris*Liberti

On the SOny receivers like so many others that have the 4 ohm switch, it is a current limiting switch and is there for UL compliance on newer receivers. The Sony will put out more power (with no adverse affects) with the switch at 8 ohms. I am running a set of M&K S-125's up front and SS-150's in the rear (all 4 ohm speakers). Also isn't impedence just resistance within an AC circuit (where it varies according to conditions instead of being static in a DC system)?

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
When I first got my MB Quart QLS1030 4-ohm speakers, my 4 year old Sony STR-DA555ES's protection circuitry started kicking in on a semi-regular basis.

Since I upgraded to an NAD T762, never had a problem (in fact, the sound improved dramatically).

Joel()Les

Agent
I would look at NAD or HK. Both have a high current design that should hold up to 4 ohm speakers.

I used an HK amp with 4 - 6 ohm speakers for over 20 years w/o any problems.

Shiu

Second Unit

I don't know about HK amp but their receivers appeared to be designed for 8 ohm loads, despite of its high current capability (presumably for very short duration). S&V just reviewed the AVR330, it went into protection mode at 25 Watts multi-channel. On single channel it did fine.

Aaron Gilbert

Second Unit
I'm running my Kenwood Sovereign VR-5090 with all five speakers four ohm, no complaints. The manual and Kenwood state six ohms nominal is the absolute minimum. I suspect it makes a difference whether you are running those channels in large or small mode. Using a subwoofer to filter ALL channels below 80Hz will dramatically reduce the power requirements for at least the front three channels.

Aaron Gilbert

TimMc

Stunt Coordinator
Tim - since you're already driving 4 ohm speakers, you must have some experience on what works w/ them and maybe some on what doesn't. Given that, maybe some less-expensive separate amp(s) from a brand that works for the surrounds & center and judicious large/small and/or sub crossover settings should do the trick?

I've run some four-ish ohm speakers as fronts on several different receivers and everything has lived to tell the tale - and I've even been known to "dust" by cranking the knob way around to the right. I've never used a receiver for more that a pair of 4-ohm'ers, though, and will admit that I was most comfortable running that 4 ohm pair through a separate (Hafler) amp - that surely helps explain my separates plug (and that's from "receiver boy" ;-).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks