What's new

Receiver Recommendation Needed (1 Viewer)

cpmiller22

Auditioning
Real Name
Chris
Hi All-I'm setting up a new home theater system in my living room and need some advice on a new receiver. I currently have an Onkyo tx-ds696 which has served me well with my Paradigm speaker set, but now I need something that supports HDMI. So my new setup is going to be the following:-60" Visio LED TV-5 in-ceiling speakers. Likely to be Sonance VP63r or sprakercraft aim5-10" sub. Not sure which one, but perhaps something like a MartinLogan Dynamo500-cable box-hdmi htpcI don't have a need for lots of fancy extras, I just want a quality receiver that will sound nice with the above setup, isn't overkill from a power or features perspective, and I don't want to spend more that I have to.Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Why are the front 3 in the ceiling, and not with the TV?If you want the AVR's remote to control everything else, buy an Onkyo 525 or 626. If you have an aftermarket remote, buy basically anything. It comes down to personal use. Whose menu makes the most sense, to you? Do you want binding posts or are spring terminals good enough?

cpmiller22

Auditioning
Real Name
Chris
schan1269 said:
Why are the front 3 in the ceiling, and not with the TV?If you want the AVR's remote to control everything else, buy an Onkyo 525 or 626. If you have an aftermarket remote, buy basically anything. It comes down to personal use. Whose menu makes the most sense, to you? Do you want binding posts or are spring terminals good enough?
Thanks. I use a Harmony remote, so universal AVR remote functions are not needed. I suppose I'd like to know which receivers are going to provide the needed power with high quality sound. I'll take a look at the Onkyo models you mentioned. Are their other brands I should consider too (denon, Yamaha, Pioneer, others?).

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I only mentioned those Onkyo specifically because they have better remotes at the price you can buy them, than everyone else.Remove that need...Every AVR provides adequate power...depending on need.Is the Yamaha 375 going to power those 5 speakers with 20 people in the room re-enacting Club 54? No, but the 675 might. If the 675 still wont the A3030(if that is the correct model number for thus year) sure will.If two people with a "live" room, you probably will be fine with 20wpc x5.If a family of 8 in an acoustically "dead" room, you might need 50wpc x5.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Paradigms to in-ceilings? Are you being punished? :)

If you don't need any of the fancy features new receivers have then I'd get a 2-3 year old factory refurbished Onkyo/Denon/Marantz from ac4l.com and the 5 year extended warranty ($50 on

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks