What's new

Receiver auto turn on?? (1 Viewer)

EricDeB

Stunt Coordinator
Hey guys I have my bed right next to my 5.1 set up. I was thinking it would be awesome to wake up to a song playing in 5.1. Is there anyway to auto turn on my receiver?

Thanks a ton
Eric

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne

Check eBay for an audio timer. These were pretty common back in the 80s – virtually all the Japanese companies offered them. Typically they looked like a low-profile audio component with a digital clock display. There were switched and perhaps unswitched outlets on the rear panel that you could plug your receiver into. Typically you could set separate “On” and “Off” times with them. Most had only one on/off setting; a few more sophisticated units could set separate times for different days of the week – there’s currently a Kenwood model like that for sale on eBay.

The only caveat with using them is that the switched plug is obviously not powered until the clock turns it on. That may be a problem with many modern receivers. Back then all components, including receivers, had hard power buttons, but modern receivers don’t. If you can unplug your receiver while its powered up, and have it come back on when you plug it back in, you’re in business. Otherwise it won’t work.

If nothing else, they’re pretty cool to have if your system set up in your living or family room. You get a large, easy-to-read digital clock display that looks like another component in your equipment rack.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Peco

Auditioning
Real Name
Peco
That sounds like a good idea!!
htf_images_smilies_banana.gif

Phil Taylor

Supporting Actor
The same principle could be achieved (albeit in a more crude fashion) with those light timer devices available at most any hardware store - but again only if your receiver is hard switched.

Another method - if your receiver is not hard switched - would be *if* your TV has an "on" timer and you have music channels on your TV service (dishnet for example) you could set your TV to come on at your desired waking time and have your receiver already on and on your TV input. Not sure if it would be "true" 5.1 though - try it :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks