What's new

Received a quote for all components, need your suggestions. (1 Viewer)

RCPJohn42

Agent
Real Name
John Billig
I received a quote from my local home theater store to supply all the components for my new room. The room is 20ft x 18ft. Ceiling height is 9ft. No windows and a very dark decor.

I understand the Epson projector is only sold through dealers and is priced via MAP, so I plan on purchasing it from my local dealer store. How about the other components? Is there a better choice for the money? FYI, I want to increase the screen size to 110"

• Epson 9700 projector. $3,099
  • Da-Lite DA-SNAP 100" 16:9 (DaMat material 1.0 gain) $1,035
  • Pioneer VSX33 THX 7.1 surround sound receiver $899.99
  • Sony BDPS580 Blu-Ray w/ wifi $179.99
  • Velodyne 10" DEQ/10R sub w/ calibration microphone and remote control $549.99
  • Niles HD8R inwall speakers (one pair right/left & one each for center) $903
  • Niles IC7500 7" L/C/R rear ceiling speakers $314
  • Universal Remote Control MX900 + MRF350 RF unit + programming $700
  • Labor to program Remotes...$250

thanks so much in advance for your help. This room has been in the planning for quite some time and your assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Those prices seem pretty high. Are you hiring them to do everything? You're not interested in doing any of the work yourself?

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Make sure need the features the 33 has over the 32 so it's worth the extra cost. Main ones are two hdmi outputs, Zone 3, 2 IR remote inputs and XM Satelitte. The amp, audio and video sections are the same. Also consider the Denon 2311, Marantz 6005, Harman Kardon 2600 and Onkyo 708.

People around here really like Logitech's Harmony remote controls (but custom installers seem to prfer Universal) and internet based sub woofers from SVS, Lava and Elemental Designs.

Sorry, I don't know anything about front projectors and screens .

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Originally Posted by Jim Mcc

Those prices seem pretty high. Are you hiring them to do everything? You're not interested in doing any of the work yourself?

Custom installers, like auto mechanics and other contractors, make a good chunk of their profits on product/parts markup.

RCPJohn42

Agent
Real Name
John Billig

Yes, I am doing all the work myself. The prices quoted were just for the purchase. I will be installing the components and wiring them up. They want $85 per hour after that to program and adjust everything.

CB750

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bill
Seems like you are spending a lot of money on a DYI installation. Why did you choose a combination of in-wall and in-ceiling speakers? They tend to provide less bang for the buck compared to stand alone's. Have you actually listened to the speakers before decided to purchase them as speaker selection will be the determining factor in how your HT will sound.

Use this guide to help you place your speakers in their proper location since it's a custom install you will have a difficult time changing things.

http://www.dolby.com/consumer/setup/speaker-setup-guide/index.html

RCPJohn42

Agent
Real Name
John Billig
Originally Posted by CB750

Thanks for the information. My local store sent a rep over to take a look at the room, which is in the framing stage. They suggested the ceiling mount speakers just behind the first row of seats. The also suggest in wall front left and right speakers, since everything is in the framing stage, the speakers could be roughed in the walls.

Good point on listening to the speakers ahead of time. No I haven't done so and will schedule an appointment this weekend. I am new to all the surround sound technology and was hoping to have the experts tell me what to use that best suits my space. My biggest concern is not so much the price, but if the components they suggested are of the upper end, middle ground or lower end of the scale. I surely don't want to spend more than I have to, especially if the features of the components will never get used. For example, I don't feel I will use the 3D function the receiver offers, so there may be a better option at a lower price for my needs. I don't know about the speaker manufacturer and if $300 per speaker is a lot to pay for one speaker.

thanks for you help,

John

RCPJohn42

Agent
Real Name
John Billig
Originally Posted by mccambley

Going over a 100 inches with a $3000 projector and a 1.0 gain screen may be asking to much and your picture may suffer.

Good point. That is probably why they suggested the 100" screen for the size of room and the distance the projector will be from the screen. The projector will mount on the ceiling and be approx. 15' to 16' from the scree.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
I don't understand why you're buying everything from the local shop if you're doing the work yourself. You can buy elsewhere and save a lot of money. Am I missing something?

RCPJohn42

Agent
Real Name
John Billig

I don't understand why you're buying everything from the local shop if you're doing the work yourself. You can buy elsewhere and save a lot of money. Am I missing something?

I guess it is a little bit of "piece of mind" from buying everything from one place and that they are down the street if something goes wrong. I am not familiar with any of the internet sites that sell home theater equipment. With that said, If I could save a lot of money from buying from the internet than I would need to weigh the cost difference and savings with the "piece of mind" factor.

I know the projector and the subwoofer are price protected. Do you have some suggested internet stores you trust and have had good experience with that carry the items listed in my quote? Or possibly an alternate manufacturer or component that would serve my needs better and at a lower internet cost?

thanks in advance for your help,

John

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
Understand, but you're paying *way* too much for piece of mind. If you use any of the well-known internet brands, you won't have a problem. Heck, with the way brick and mortars are going out of business you might be better off. (I never though Circuit City would bite the dust.)

I like Axiom for speakers and they have a great customer service reputation. They also have very nice on-walls and in-walls. Don't think they have ceiling speakers though, but I'd advise against ceiling speakers anyway.

Amazon has the receiver for $300 less and Amazon takes anything back. Almost all repairs are done at the factory with today's electronics, so you only have to concern yourself with buying from an authorized dealer

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by RCPJohn42
  • Epson 9700 projector. $3,099
  • Da-Lite DA-SNAP 100" 16:9 (DaMat material 1.0 gain) $1,035
  • Pioneer VSX33 THX 7.1 surround sound receiver $899.99
  • Sony BDPS580 Blu-Ray w/ wifi $179.99
  • Velodyne 10" DEQ/10R sub w/ calibration microphone and remote control $549.99
  • Niles HD8R inwall speakers (one pair right/left & one each for center) $903
  • Niles IC7500 7" L/C/R rear ceiling speakers $314
  • Universal Remote Control MX900 + MRF350 RF unit + programming $700
  • Labor to program Remotes...$250

• Panasonic AE-4000U $1,999
  • 100" DIY screen - $80
  • Pioneer VSX33 THX 7.1 surround sound receiver 599
  • Oppo BDP-93 Blu-ray player $500
  • Elemental Designs 5.1 system (LCR all A4 mtm, surrounds A4 bookshelf speakers, A5 350 sub) = $1,113.50 shipped to your door
  • Harmony 1 remote $155
  • labor to program = $0,000,000.00 (It's that easy)

Just my suggestions. I've been running a Panasonic projector for 5 years and love it. Same with my Pioneer receiver. To save a little more, go with a Samsung BD player like me but the Oppos are awesome. eD makes great systems at a great price all in Iowa. Very few people who go with a Harmony remote ever go back. Even my mother-in-law programmed hers and she can't grasp the concept of copy/paste when using a computer.

RCPJohn42

Agent
Real Name
John Billig
Originally Posted by mccambley

There are so many good speakers and you could get a lot of good advice about different brands. I think a traditional box speaker either on a stand or tower model will give you a better sound than most in wall/in ceiling speakers. The rears should be mounted the left and right of the listener facing each other no matter what you use unless your room will not allow for that set up then and only then use the in ceiling speakers. $300 per speaker is not too much to spend on speakers, you may find good speakers for less and you may find better ones for more.

Thanks so much for the information. Yes, I am restricted by walls for the rears. I have a wall right up against one side of the front and back row of seats. The opposite side wall is approx. 6 feet away from the other side of the seats. Thinking maybe put the rears above in the soffit that sits just in front of the rear row of seats and put some tower speakers in the front left and right. Is the center speaker OK to put in the wall below the screen?

RCPJohn42

Agent
Real Name
John Billig
Originally Posted by Robert_J

• Panasonic AE-4000U $1,999
  • 100" DIY screen - $80
  • Pioneer VSX33 THX 7.1 surround sound receiver 599
  • Oppo BDP-93 Blu-ray player $500
  • Elemental Designs 5.1 system (LCR all A4 mtm, surrounds A4 bookshelf speakers, A5 350 sub) = $1,113.50 shipped to your door
  • Harmony 1 remote $155
  • labor to program = $0,000,000.00 (It's that easy)

Just my suggestions. I've been running a Panasonic projector for 5 years and love it. Same with my Pioneer receiver. To save a little more, go with a Samsung BD player like me but the Oppos are awesome. eD makes great systems at a great price all in Iowa. Very few people who go with a Harmony remote ever go back. Even my mother-in-law programmed hers and she can't grasp the concept of copy/paste when using a computer.

Thanks for the suggestions. I will most likely go with the VSX33, but purchase it online. I found the Da-lite screen for about $150 less online, so I might go with that. The projector and subwoofers are price protected, so If I can purchase them out of state on the internet, I can save the state tax, as long as shipping is low or free. I can get the speakers for about $275 a piece, so I save a little there. I need to shop around and see how much it costs per hour to have someone come over and calibrate everything. I like your Harmony remote option. Does that come with everything needed to put all devices on one remote? Do you need a separate receiver or do you need to always face it towards the cabinet.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
Harmony remotes are easily programmed by a layman and have the largest database of devices in the remote world. The ridiculous pricing the original quote gave for a remote and programming would make me steer clear of that retailer. Also, Harmony's come in both IR and RF models, so line of sight is not needed with the RF models.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
I highly recommend Projector People for projectors and screens. But I know very little about screens because I've always used DIY screens. The Epson 8700 is a very popular, highly recommended projector. I think it's about $2,100. Two sites to check out are Projectorcentralcom and Projectorreviews.com.

Originally Posted by RCPJohn42

I guess it is a little bit of "piece of mind" from buying everything from one place and that they are down the street if something goes wrong. I am not familiar with any of the internet sites that sell home theater equipment. With that said, If I could save a lot of money from buying from the internet than I would need to weigh the cost difference and savings with the "piece of mind" factor.

I know the projector and the subwoofer are price protected. Do you have some suggested internet stores you trust and have had good experience with that carry the items listed in my quote? Or possibly an alternate manufacturer or component that would serve my needs better and at a lower internet cost?

thanks in advance for your help,

John

RCPJohn42

Agent
Real Name
John Billig

I highly recommend Projector People for projectors and screens. But I know very little about screens because I've always used DIY screens. The Epson 8700 is a very popular, highly recommended projector. I think it's about $2,100. Two sites to check out are Projectorcentralcom and Projectorreviews.com.

I spent some time tonight on projector peoples website. I get a good vibe from this site and the company and a sense of trust from purchasing online from them. My local home theater store was recommending the Epson 9700, but after reading reviews on the 8700, I am thinking the 8700 will be just fine for my needs and save me about $1000 dollars.

I also think the Elite 100" screen will work even though Da-Lite seems to be a higher quality. I think the Elite will be just fine for my needs and save me about $500 in the end.

I can use the savings to get a better dvd/blu-ray player.

I am not sold yet on speakers. I will spend some time looking at reviews from Element Designs.

RCPJohn42

Agent
Real Name
John Billig
OK after reading for hours and talking to the members here, I have saved a lot of money and have narrowed it down to below components. I just need to find a good 5.1 surround sound receiver. I am not 100% sold on the Pioneer VSX33 and if I will use the extra features it has for the extra money it costs. If you have some suggestions for a receiver with what I am adding below, I would most appreciate your feedback.

Screen ....Da-Lite Da-Mat

Projector.....Epson 8700 UB

Speakers.....Energy CB-20 (fronts) CR-10 Bipole (rears) CC-10 (Center)

Sub...B.I.C F12

Blu Ray....Oppo 93

Remote.....Harmony One

5.1 Surround sound receiver....???

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
You should post this in the receiver section.

Is your budget for receiver stlll $600?

Do you need any special features(Video upconversion, etc)?

How many HDMI inputs do you want?

RCPJohn42

Agent
Real Name
John Billig

You should post this in the receiver section.

Is your budget for receiver stlll $600?

Do you need any special features(Video upconversion, etc)?

How many HDMI inputs do you want?

To be honest, I really don't know what I need as special features. My home theater room is mainly going to be used for watching movies. I want something that will sound good, with enough power and be suited for the components I have listed above. I have done some reading and the Denon 2311 looks good, with my lack of knowledge in the field. I pretty much read all the reviews to see what people are saying about the different receivers. I like the feature of the ipod port in the front of the unit. I will post something in the receiver section.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks