1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Reccomendations?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by flood37, Jan 19, 2007.

1. flood37

flood37 Member

Im looking for a pair of towers in the 300-400$ range, nothing fancy obviously.

Im trying to go for a bit more SPL over SQ.

I was taking a look at MTX Monitor 600's, and ive heard a few good reviews on them.
    But thus far, thats really all i have for choice.

Any other suggestions?
    any feedback would help.

2. SethH

SethH Well-Known Member

Here are two possibilities:

1) BIC Acoustech HT-75 - $279/pair
    2) Look for anything by Klipsch used

These speakers are very efficient and easy to drive, so they can get very loud without too much power behind them.

3. Arthur S

Arthur S Well-Known Member

Hi Grant

You should take a look at Premier Acoustics Towers...less than $400...however, I really like the HTD Level 3 Towers...$699 in real wood veneers...not the loudest but similar to a $4,000 pair of speakers that would be in a mansion of a few insiders if they could even get them.

Happy New Year

4. flood37

flood37 Member

Hmm, only towers i can find from Premier are 599+

im just lookin for something inexpensive for now,
    have some .. huge .. plans for the future aha

5. gene c

gene c Well-Known Member

Gene
    Infinity 250's for $287 shipped from DigitalElectrics.com (I know nothing about these guys), followed closely by Mordaunt-Short 904's for $249 + shipping from ac4l.com (great e-store) and not so closely by Sony 750's for

6. flood37

flood37 Member

Well,

ive upped my budget.
    im seriously considering a pair of those Diva 6.1's now.

Ive read a ton of reviews on them and havent heard any negative feedback.

and for 1000$cdn shipped, cant go wrong.

7. gene c

gene c Well-Known Member

Gene
    I was actually going to suggest you drop down to bookshelves and a pair of Swan Diva 2.1's @ 329 shipped but it looked to me like you were set on towers. I ordered some Diva 5.1's, 2.1's and a C3 center from ozhometheater last week. Can't wait.

8. flood37

flood37 Member

Eh, for me its go big or go home really.

and I would like a tower with good bass response, I am using subs, but i live with others.
    So it would be nice to have the option to have subs off and still get a good full sound.

9. gene c

gene c Well-Known Member

Gene
    The 6.1's were a little too big for me. But you're right about the reviews. The thing I liked about the 5.1's is they use the same two 6" woofers, 3" mid and 1" tweeter in them as the C3BC center. Should be a truly seamless front soundstage.

10. flood37

flood37 Member

Yes, very true.

I wont be running a center though, im sticking with a 2.1..well, 2.3 aha

11. Arthur S

Arthur S Well-Known Member

Hi Grant

You should find out how much a pair of HTD Level 3 Towers are in Canada...$699 US, and the best under $1,000 towers I have seen for a long long time.

12. frogpond

frogpond Well-Known Member

I'd recommend something from the Rocket line from av123.com but they are out of your budget. Its tough that you want towers, especially good towers for a budget price.

13. flood37

flood37 Member

Yea, Ive decided to up my bugdet and im going with a pair of Diva 6.1's

bassically, this thread is now obsolete lol.

14. HongHuynh

HongHuynh Active Member

If you truly want to go big or go home, then go for the B&W Nautilus Prestige series or the Wilson Audio Alexandria.

15. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

6.1s are a great choice... I've had mine for a few weeks now and they're really starting to open up... once I get them into the HT room at my new house (FRIDAY!) I'm guessing they'll really be able to sing. I've upgrade from 4.1s which to me seemed to offer nothing over the 2.1 bookshelfs outside of not reuiring stands (similar FR and SPL, near identical sound).

Alot of people pick the 5.1s because of how well they match with the C3... I can honestly say the 6.1s match nearly seemlessly and provide alot more low-end output. I've been running my 6.1s & C3 w/out a sub and in my small temporary room i've been VERY impressed w/ the bass response. Once I get into the HT room and have space to rebuild my sub I'll be even happier, but the 6.1s do have the ability to stand alone, especially for music.

16. gene c

gene c Well-Known Member

Gene
    I listen @ very moderate levels compared to most others around here and the 4.1's (or 2.1's even) were probably all I needed. This is also my first foray into higher quality sound. There is quite a difference in sound between my various Polk RTi series speakers (not a put-down, just telling the truth). But the RTi 8's and CSi5 share the same configuration and sound the closest so I decided to do the same with the Swans. I would have loved to have gotten the 6.1's but I wouldn't have been able to give them the watts they deserve. This is also the reason I went with Dayton subs instead of the SVS or HSU.

17. flood37

flood37 Member

this is my frist step into any higher quality sound, and im quite excited to finally be able to do so.

and with the reviews ive read on the 6.1's, i thought it would be a great place to start.