What's new

Reccomendations on Speakers for Flight Simulation (1 Viewer)

Gerald LaFrance

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gerald LaFrance
Hi, I have another Project on the Shelf, I plan on buying a Projector, 5.1 Reciever and 5.1 Speaker setup for my Virtual Flight Simulator. This is my other Hobby I really enjoy flying a F-16 Block 52 or F18E & the F22.

I am Planning on going with a Front Projector screensize still to be determined but it will be a Optoma EP719. The list is very short as I am Also going to be using E-Dimensional 3D Glasses for an Immersive effect should be Very cool on a bigger screen. So I am limited on buying Tested Projectors known to work with 3D.

I also want a 5.1 Reciever with a decent set of Speakers front and rears to be the same and a matching Center channel. I have a HSU VTF-1 Subwoofer I plan on using, I bought this for my HT but I want more Kick so I plan on getting the VTF3.3.

My Budget for the 5.0 speakers is about $500-600, I don't Plan on getting the Latest and Greatest there might be a possibility of Destroying the speakers. I plan on being carefull this time, I had already destroyed my other set of speakers when I destroyed a Tank Farm, the Explosions we're just too much for those Speakers.

But since I Plan on using a SUB I can set the Crossover so the Speakers Don't get that harmfull HZ Frequency. ;)

I was looking at the Sony's here is a link:

Sony - 8" 3-Way Floorstanding Speakers (Pair) - SSF5000

they look reasonably Priced and a decent Speaker well for what I plan on doing with them ;)

I would like some more suggestions for a set 5.0 Speaker Setup, I already have the Sub a HSU VTF-1. I would like the Front's & Rear's to be the same Speaker and a Matching center channel.

I also Plan on getting a Yamaha Reciever:

Yamaha - 500W 5.1-Ch. A/V Home Theater Receiver - RX-V361BL

With this lil' Gizmo for the PC to Reciever:

Accessories - Sound Blaster, Portable Media Centers, MP3 Player, Speaker, Storage, Web Cameras

I am going to use that instead of the just using the Cables. This Unit will make it a DTS Signal and I can use the Digital Coax connection.

Gerald

Real Name
CRAIG P
since you already have the hsu sub maybe you should look into hsu's new speakers that are getting great reviews and are on home theater magazine's buyers guide

MaxL

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Max Levine
the psb alpha c special at saturdayaudio.com.

that's 5 center channel speakers for $500. (yes it's the same one i use, from the same place i bought it.) it's a very good speaker with enough room at the bottom end to blend well with your sub crossed over at 80-100 Hz. they are all identical so you don't have to worry about sound differences. with 2 woofers in each, you should have nice clean mids and upper bass as well, even at louder levels. integrated properly with either sub, these should sound much better than the sony's.

good luck

Gerald LaFrance

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gerald LaFrance
I have looked at Both, they seem OK but I am Not sure if they will handle what I am going to put into them with the Flight Simulators??

Especially T.A.W. it has some loud explosions plus when the afterburner is ON it really makes a lot of Low End noise?? But if I set the Crossover to 60-100 the Harmful sounds should be directed to the Sub Correct?? I believe the sub would handle the low end in the Sim??

How long will that sale be on for the alpha c's??

Are the HSU's going on sale anytime soon, being offered at lower cost than they are now??

MaxL

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Max Levine
those psb alpha c's have been on sale since 2006. they will stay on sale till they sell out. I bought mine @$140. you'd be paying $100/ea. they are on closeout because the newer alpha series is out now.

yes the sub will handle the lower bass. these speakers start to roll off below 70Hz and cutoff in the 50's somewhere. they should blend well with most subs crossed over around 80-100Hz. the speakers should be fine with the material they are getting.

Gerald LaFrance

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gerald LaFrance

Yes I have a spl meter. I can test it with my Current 5.1 Computer speakers but I dont think it will be near the Decibles of a System with a 100 watt reciever.

Plus it is Not only How loud but the Sudden impact of the sounds of the explosions, the last time I plugged my Computer in to my Reciever I blew one of the speakers when I destroyed the Tank Farm. I had the volume about almost 3/4 up on the reciever.

MaxL

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Max Levine
another tack, get 3 pair of csw model 6's for under $400 shipped. that gives you an extra one just in case.

another option if volume is priority over sound quality, get PA speakers.

the reality is that you can max out almost any speaker/ amp combo. the question is does that happen at a volume high enough for your needs. buy from a place with a faur return/ exchange policy and test the gear you get. if it's not enough, get more/ better.

Gerald LaFrance

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gerald LaFrance
well I just tested with a SPL meter it was about 90db turned about halfway up.

I haven't thought of PA speakers. Does anyone have links to any PA Speaker's?? will the PA speaker be 8ohms?? I know I can get some PA systems at a local Guitar shop but would like to also see some online!!

ya I do Prefer Volume over sound Quality. I was looking at some PA setups Nice but I like my Hearing. those things would sound like the real Plane, I don't wanna terrorize my Neighborhood hehe!!

EDIT: I was thinking and a while back some guy was Blastin a system that Rocked all of Best Buy. Employees we're flocking to his location thinking somebody was playing around. But man those things are loud. Here are the Speakers they are also 150watts RMS, 8ohms. I think I found what I am looking for:

MTX - 12" 2-Way Professional Loudspeaker (Each) - TP112

If anybody has a suggestion on this style of Speaker Please Post in this thread with a Link THNX!!

Gerald

Gerald LaFrance

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gerald LaFrance
I ended up Going to my Local Musician Store. I bought 4 SHS-SP8 Powered Speakers. they are on order I will be picking them up in 2 weeks!!

I figure with those Powered Speakers and a HSU VTF-1 Sub this should be a good Combo, along with a 54" Translucent screen and in 3D this is going to be Great.

I am looking to get a Optoma 719 Projector hopoefully B4 Summer starts, I still need to get a replacemet Sub for my HT. I plan on getting a VTF3-3, Not sure if I am going HO or Not?? All I know is I want More Low End during the movies and this should fit the Bill ;)

Gerald LaFrance

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gerald LaFrance
Hi, I picked up the Speakers tonight and when I opened them up I found that they are 4ohm speakers with a built in amp. This could be a Problem I am not sure???

My Question is If I get a Marantz SR-4001 Reciever and use the Pre Out to the Speakers will the Ohms of these speakers matter?? it is a 8 ohm reciever??? but since I am using the Pre out it shouldn't matter??

Here is a couple Pics of the Speakers:

MaxL

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Max Levine
you should be fine with the preouts. the ohms won't matter because they will be negotiated by the speakers' amps.

Gerald LaFrance

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gerald LaFrance
Hi Well I did get my Virtual Flight /Race Simulator and in 3D. here is what I have :

4 SHS Audio 100Watt Amplified Speakers
Marantz SR 4001 Reciever used as a Pre/Pro
Sharp XR-10X-L DLP Projector
HSU VTF 1 Sub Still need to get the relacement sub for my Home Theater and a few other upgerades like a Blu Ray Player ;)

I Also bought a new computer, sys specs:

Intel PIV 3.80Ghz 570J CPU Stock Heatsink
Asus P5N32-E SLI mobo
Audigy 2 ZS Sound Card
BFG Geforce 7950GT OC Looking into getting a 7950 SLI Setup but need to see if it will work in SLI Mode and in 3D Stereo.

The Screen is 3/4 piece of like wood material but alot smoother surface. I used Screen Goo which worked very well. I would recomend it for a DIY Screen for your HT ;)

It is a 45" 4:3 Screen image and I use the E Dimensional 3D Glasses for a Very Immersive effect. I am mainly going to use this for my Flight Simulators but I am also going to start getting some Race Sims and get a Steering wheel.

I dl'd GTR2 and rFactor looks very cool on the big screen and in 3d Almost like really being there!!

Here is a Screenshot of the setup with a Vid I made on YouTube:

YouTube - Maverick Training mission

THNX all for your Help in my other Dream Project!!

Gerald LaFrance

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gerald LaFrance
Hi All,

I am Ressurecting this Thread Because I had a an Idea to go with a triple Projector Setup using the Matrox TH2GO Gizmo..

Since I mostly Play Military styled FPS like ArmA 1&2, Operation Flashpoint:DR and Jcove Lite..which support Triple Screens. Once I saw the Screenshots on the Triple Screen gaming website I was like "I have go to get me one of these."

Well anyhow I am currently trying to get my 3rd Projector. Hopefully this will pan out as they are getting hard to find as they went OOP in 08. I need to stick with the Same Projector..

I had made a larger screen last year with ScreenGoo and it is Finished, but I am going to cut that piece up for 2 more 45" Screens. I will save some time and money there as the Screen is almost finished at least I dont have to spend 2 days paining it and waiting for a Warm day.
Up here in the North Eastern USA Winter is a Hard Hitter this year and spring NO where in sight..

I will just have to be carefull cutting the Screen which is about 100" diagonal, I had already measured it I will be able to get 2-49" Pieces out of it.. Lucky me, you see Fortune does Favor a Prepared mind ..

Well Hopefully when it is all done I will post a video of it in action and remember this is

ALL in S3D ;)

I have been ahead of the 3D curve since 2001 ..

Gerald LaFrance

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gerald LaFrance
WEll almost Finally complete just need to get 2 new bulbs and a TH2Go Gizmo and it will be done.. I currently am using SofTH which works some but a bit buggy, I thnik the TH2Go will be a better solution..

here are some pics of it in action with ArmA1 and TAW:

dscf1940v.jpg

By the_nephilim at 2010-08-28

dscf1939.jpg

dscf1937t.jpg

dscf1938m.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks