What's new

Reap the Wild Wind (1 Viewer)

John Madia

Second Unit
I saw this for $10 at DDD and was wondering if its worth picking up? How is the transfer? Also, is the movie any good?

Chuck Wood

Grip
John,
The transfer is EXCELLENT! It looks like a restored three strip technicolor print and is quite impressive.
As for the film-if you like Cecil B. DeMille epics, you'll like this one. It marks John Wayne's ONLY appearence in a Demille opus. It's Oscar winning special effects don't hold up all that well, but the cinematography and art direction do! For ten bucks, you could do a LOT worse! Hope that helps!

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
I've always loved this film. It is one of the rare times when Duke is not the hero & dies in the movie.

John Madia

Second Unit
I watched the movie today and concur that it's worth picking up. It was more like Gone With the Wind than the swashbuckling movie I expected but enjoyable none the less. The only trouble I had with the movie was...

John Wayne joining king cutler around the three quarter mark. I'm all for shades of gray but it's really hard not to like and root for John Wayne. It doesn't help that Ray Milland was kind of a jerk until that point too. Also, I read somewhere else that John Wayne died in the movie so that was spoiled. Not that it would've mattered much, I still don't think the ending worked.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks