What's new

Ready to purchase my new system, need a bit of help (1 Viewer)

jonahgabriel

Auditioning
Real Name
Jonah Neugass
Hey guys...ready to purchase my new home theater and needed some advice:

Front:

Polk Audio TSi400

or

Polk Audio 65T

I am leaning towards the 65T as they are $100 cheaper on special this weekend on New Egg, and the look to be very similar in specs.

Center Channel:

Polk Audio CS20

or

Polk Audio 25C

Not sure which is better...they both sell for the same price on the Polk Audio site.

Rear:

Polk Audio TS 1

Not sure if there are better options in my price range.

Reciever:

Marantz SR5007

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Mr645

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jon
I can;t really say I am familiar with any of the Polk models your looking at, but as a good rule of thumb, the speakers are where you should put the money into. As nice as that Marantz is, I would suggest spending less on the receiver and put the money into the speakers. In fact, here is it factory refurbished for $599 http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/MARSR5007/MARANTZ-SR5007-100w-x7-NetworkingTheater-Receiver-w/AirPlay-3D-4K/1.html

But electronics get outdated and $3000 receivers and pre amps will be worth virtually nothing in a few years as new features come out. But good speakers can last for decades. My B&K Processor was $2799 new and ten years later I am lucky to sell it for $225, but my 12 yr old Vandersteens are still 100% up to date and ready for the latest and greatest.

Your speakers should cost more then everything else combined (Excluding the display)

Oh, and leave a little budget for some new software

jonahgabriel

Auditioning
Real Name
Jonah Neugass
Mr645 said:
I can;t really say I am familiar with any of the Polk models your looking at, but as a good rule of thumb, the speakers are where you should put the money into. As nice as that Marantz is, I would suggest spending less on the receiver and put the money into the speakers. In fact, here is it factory refurbished for $599 http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/MARSR5007/MARANTZ-SR5007-100w-x7-NetworkingTheater-Receiver-w/AirPlay-3D-4K/1.html

But electronics get outdated and $3000 receivers and pre amps will be worth virtually nothing in a few years as new features come out. But good speakers can last for decades. My B&K Processor was $2799 new and ten years later I am lucky to sell it for $225, but my 12 yr old Vandersteens are still 100% up to date and ready for the latest and greatest.

Your speakers should cost more then everything else combined (Excluding the display)

Oh, and leave a little budget for some new software
What would you suggest for speakers? Also, this system is an upgrade from the 5 year old HTiB that I currently have and I can't go too crazy as I just spent 20k on a new house and new furniture.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
What actually is your budget?

Throw out product that fits an all over the place pricing structure doesn't help us...help you.

That is also way more AVR than I would put with those speakers. It would be like buying a BMW 7-series and slapping some Sears Brand Guardsman on it...

Tell us more as well...

What are your sources?
Wii?
Computer?
BD/DVD?
VCR?
PS3?
Victrola?

jonahgabriel

Auditioning
Real Name
Jonah Neugass
My sources are Xbox, Tivo, Wi and something to connect to my network for multi-room audio...I have been told an AirportExpress.is good for this.

My budget is around $2-2.5k

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
How many zones do you want(not counting the AV area)? 1 or 2?

Second part of that question...
How is the Zone 2(or 3?) going to be powered?
By the AVR, or is the audio simply "getting there" to be handled by something else?

What are these "zones"?
Outdoor patio? Garage? Bedroom? Kitchen?

But to answer what you've said so far...
Airport Express(which I know nothing of...), as long as it has analog audio...fine. Everything for "the zones" must be analog. Analog is red/white. To clue you in on what that actually means...look at a picture of the back of the SR5007(you chose it, so we are going to use it as the example), those 4 sets of analog inputs on the left side next to the antenna(cable/Sat, DVD, Media Player and CD) are your inputs for Zone 2.

You choose either 5.1 main room and the "assignable" speaker terminals(the ones on the far right) to "self-power" the Zone 2. Or, you use the Zone 2 output(which coincidentally is right above the 4 inputs).

Using the far right speaker termianals "assigned" or the Zone 2 pre-out are both the correct answer.

Which are you going to use?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks