What's new

Re Audio Interconnects... silver, copper, canare, oh my! Which and why? (1 Viewer)

RichardMA

Second Unit
Usually, these audio suppliers rape people for industrial
goods (Hubbell outlets, Belden cable) and people are
better off looking up their local large electrical supplier
to see if they carry the product. A friend of mine saved
about 50% by doing this when wiring in a bunch of
Hubbell hospital grade outlets. The situation with Belden
wire is probably just the same. I guess the only drawback
would be some of the minimum purchase quantities, if there
are any. However, I would like to say that the Cat Cable
prices for braided silver plated copper/teflon cables
seems quite good.

Travis Kolesar

Second Unit
Wondering if anyone has any experience with Zaolla cables. http://www.zaolla.com/ Am curious as the price is right, especially since I work at a music store that can get them (they are Hosa's pro line cable). I talked with our rep yesterday and they do have RCA to RCA audio interconnects in single and paired runs, they were accidentily left off the website. I figure that I have most everything else the way I want it in my system for now, but haven't paid too much attention to my analog connections and would probably benefit to some extent from a higher grade interconnect.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Interesting site and it raised another dumb question from me... what is "balanced" vs. "unbalanced" wire?

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Rich,
www.fatwyre.com has some sort of home trial program for over 60 brands of interconnects. They also claim to be able to offer system-matching with their cables. Might be worth a visit to their site or a phone call: 1-800-FATWYRE .

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
There are some costs associated with the fatwyre place. I think the first 'trial' is $50 which is only refundable I believe on something bought from them. Then there's the s/h charges each way. Adds up mighty quick I'd say. For the lengths most of us are using, interconnects have got a mighty damned flat frequency response way way out there. Now if only there were some proof they made an audible improvement ;)

Mark Rich

Second Unit
Rich,

If its silver cables you are after?

silveraudio.com

For more affordable cables there is a guy on E-bay that sells some as well. Do a search on e-bay for mattjk

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Those are quite a bit more expensive than the Homegrown Silver Lace DIY kit - justifiably so in your estimation?

And, yes, I'm leaning towards silvers now as I think they may be a better match for what I'd like to get out of my system (no tubes, but relatively laid-back speakers).

Mark Rich

Second Unit
I'm not a big fan of silver. But if I was in the market I would give the Silveraudio a try. Use top of the line WBT RCA connectors, look very well made and are well reviewed.I'd look at getting them with the Eichmann bullet RCA's. Love what they do for a cable (digital and analog)
I don't think you would have a problem with Homegrown (2nd choice)or Cat (3rd) as alternatives.

Jo_M

Stunt Coordinator
$21,230.00 Siltech Cables Compass Lake Signature G5
That better include more than just the cables...

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
I think they're signed by the people who made the Klondike gold strike. Very hard to come by :D , and likely to increase in value.

Mark Rich

Second Unit
I was hesitating recommending this cable company because of their high price but for those of you that have the bucks..
Mothraresearch.com
Check them out and learn what boutique cables are all about
:D

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Tis a funny thing isn't it once one removes the cable identifications and has someone build RCA's to spec isn't it? You can say all kinds of things...

Users who are viewing this thread