What's new

Re: 101 DALMATIANS: This is a Platinum Edition...? (1 Viewer)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Bo: if you read Matt's review (I posted the link above in #17), you'll see the typical back-and-forth about Disney films of this vintage which were animated in a full 4:3 ratio and composed thusly, but with a safe eye towards a 1.78:1 ratio since that's how most theaters in the day were set up for projection.

Sumnernor

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sumner Northcutt
I just got my copy yesterday. It took me 3-5 minutes to get by all the "garbage" at the beginning! Is there some quick way to get around this? Hitting "menu" does not work. Just hitting the next chapter button.

I don't like the case it comes in. To open the box, you have to pull out 2 catches on the side. Are many boxes in the US like this, I have some with this.

Kris Z.

Stunt Coordinator
The cases are not very common but Disney tends to use them for their Platinum releases and the like. I'm not sure if they're supposed to be some kind of lock to keep children from messing up the discs.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

They are an in-store theft deterrent. They make it that much harder for someone to slit open the cellophane wrapper and slide a disc out.

If you don't like them at home...the clips are made to be snapped off to facilitate the ease of opening and closing the cases.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink

How exactly does one just "slide a disc out?" How does he get it off the hub without fully opening the case and using his fingers?

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
pretty easy to get a disc out if you can get the front side open.
i work in retail and find empty cases all the time that just have the front slit open and no dvd inside.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Like Tony says...

Many years ago, I took a DVD up to the clerk at Best Buy for purchase...and the clerk saw the slit in the wrapping and told me to go back and get another one off the shelf. I was amazed. I hadn't even noticed the slit! Just think how ticked I would have been if I had gotten it home, opened it and no disc! Somehow I doubt the store would have believed me that there was no disc when I opened it.

It's a real shame.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
^ I once bought a disc that had the main/front anti-theft sticker slit inside pristine shrinkwrap. This disc was also inside a pristine shrinkwrapped box set that had the studio logo on the wrap. Of course I couldn't see the problem externally. So I can only assume this can happen even before they get to the stores. Sure would like to know how they do it, must take lots younger fingers than mine...

I would say the majority of movie (not TV) discs I've bought lately have the tabs, especially the bulk of those from the U.S., maybe just the luck of my choices.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
I still don't understand how one gets a DVD through a slit. What is the "front side" of the DVD case? The actual front of the case? Or the side along which it opens (where the tabs are)?

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

"Front side" is a bit of a misnomer here, Carl.

The slits that I've seen are along the side of the case where it opens. Once the slit is made the thieves must force the disc off the hub by putting their fingers inside and sliding it out...or by bending the case and popping it off.

Try it, the next new disc you open at home! :D

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.

carl, what do think a slit is and were could one be on a dvd case that would allow a dvd to slide through it.
mike described it etter then i apparently did.

why are you trying so hard to figure all this out anyway.
it's not that important.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks