1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

RCA Video Disc

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by mattCR, Dec 14, 2009.

1. mattCR

mattCR Well-Known Member
    HW Reviewer

Matt
    I stumbled across a real oddity. Given to a consignment shop I work with.. an RCA "Video Disc" player... the discs are like Laserdiscs, except they never come out of their cartridge container... and the woman donated about 100 movies and a player, which all seems to work. Some of the films, especially John Wayne ones, are films I don't think I've seen on DVD.. hell, even LD.

Just a strange, strange find :)

2. Bob Graham

Bob Graham Well-Known Member

Want to learn more about the format? Go to cedmagic.com

3. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Well-Known Member

Well, actually they do. You insert the whole cartridge into the player. The edge of the cartridge gets grabbed by a locking mechanism. You then pull the sleeve out and the disc remains in the player. It then plays similar to a standard vinyl LP. It even uses a needle for a pick up. How do I know this? I was dumb enough to be one of the few who bought one of the things. I even remember how much I paid: 600 bucks.
    I still have the thing in a box in my basement. I actually pulled it out a few years ago, just to see if it still worked. It was still operable. I used it to watch "Watership Down". One of only two discs that I ever bought for it.

4. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Well-Known Member

I have EVERY consumer title issued on this format. I've had a thing for failed technology for a long time- I was collecting 8-track tapes before most people were considering them 'retro', then I found a working videodisc player and loved it so much I had to have everything that came out on it.

Check my YouTube page for some rare promotional stuff on the format- was going to embed it here but doesn't seem to work.