What's new

Rambo IV gets the green light (2 Viewers)

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member
Sweet footage. Stallone is in the midst of a serious renaissance. Let's hope he can parlay that into some new material after he finishes serving up delictable portions from old vintage. :)

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
Holy $#@!!!!!
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

Brent M

Senior HTF Member

You just stole my exact reaction to that clip. WOW!!! I can honestly say I wasn't expecting anything like that when I clicked on the link. I thought another Rambo movie was an idea on par with making Battlefield Earth 2 or Gigli 2, but I definitely stand corrected after watching that footage.

Darcy Hunter

Stunt Coordinator

That was my exact thought as I watched this. You could have added this as a fake trailer along with Thanksgiving and Don't! and it would not have been out of place.

...and yes, that IS a good thing.

Brett_M

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett Meyer
My favorite moment -- seeing Rambo rise into frame behind the guy who loses his head an instant later.

Although gory, the clips base Rambo in reality. I doubt we'll be seeing him come out of a mud wall or rise out of a raging river firing his arrows. Rambo II and III had him doing superhuman stunts -- cool, no doubt, but superhero nonetheless. I prefer the First Blood Rambo -- a Green Beret with training like no other:

An expert in guerilla warfare.

A man who's the best...

With guns, with knives, with his bare hands.

Trained to ignore pain.

Ignore weather.

To live off the land.

To eat things that would make a billy goat puke.

Well, John Rambo was the best.

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
I'm excited for this movie now after seeing that and am hoping for a comeback of movies like this. They are just good fun and not to be taken to seriously. Can't wait, especially after being so pleased with Rocky Balboa.

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member
This is just weirdly inconsistent in that the previous Rambo films weren't really gory. The worst was probably the Vietnamese commander getting blown up with the arrow in Part II.

I'm sure these are unedited shots, we'll probably see a couple frames of the worst stuff in the final product, MPAA or no.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member

I know he used a machine gun in the first one, but the tenor and themes of First Blood were different than any of the sequels. Only one guy was killed in the first one and that was due to his own bloodlust and stupidity. Rambo never killed anyone in First Blood. The sequels, including this latest one, are about two different people sharing the same name. Also the sequels were violent but they weren't splatter films. This thing looks like a splatter version of Tears of the Sun, except the location is Burma instead of Africa. My impression might change with later teaser and trailers, but right now my impression is that this film is nothing but a splatter film with a thin veneer of "social relevance".

Brett_M

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett Meyer

To be fair, Stallone probably chose those shots for the simple fact that distributors would do exactly what we are doing -- talking about Rambo and doing so excitedly.

I doubt he would release the film using a lot of the coverage we saw in the promo reel. He wants it to put out a quality product to end the series, just as he did with Rocky Balboa.

Wait and see.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Yes. Good points. I'm willing to see how it plays out. First impressions are not necessarily the correct ones, and the clip is basically raw footage which may or may not end up in the final cut. Either way it will be interesting to see how he reconciles the various facets of the character, since the first movie and the following sequels were such disparate views in theme and tenor. Some of the quiet moments in the clip do bear a resemblance to the first film.

Mark Hawley

Second Unit

All true but the thing is that "First Blood" and the sequels are completely different situations. "First Blood" was about Rambo being harassed by the law, stateside while the second one was about him going back to Vietnam for a mission. He didn't kill anyone in the first one because he was only trying to escape and was reluctant to kill what were in fact average joes. It's only at the end where he tries to kill Teasle. Since the second one dealt with Rambo in actual combat situtions, killing was appropriate to the story.

Rambo's a killer and even Trautmann remarked that he was surprised Rambo let any of Teasle's team live and that that was akin to "screwing up".

Since the unjustly harassed by the law/reluctatnt to kill anyone was done with the first one, the only thing you can really do in a sequel is put Rambo in other adventures, where killing would have to be more or less necessary.

Brett_M

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett Meyer

Agreed. The quiet moments are the heart of the character for me. The final speech in First Blood is one of my favorite scenes from any film of all time. My hope is that he hits all the marks in John Rambo and provides a fitting end to the series.

Scott Calvert

Supporting Actor
Quite frankly, this looks absolutely terrible. Yes it is violent but it also looks like a straight to video exploitation flick. Everything seems too small...lots of closeups and indoor locations. A few people running around in the woods. Really bad, trendy photography were the collors are all pushed and harsh looking.

I wish filmmakers still used anamorphic and were not afraid to keep the camera still, open up the frame and let it breathe a bit. Would also be nice to see more coreographed camera movement rather than just grabbing arbitrary shots with the steadicam all the time and just putting shit together in the cutting room. Lots of filmmakers call that "style", but it's really just laziness. IMO.

John Doran

Screenwriter
just saw the trailer.......good grief, what the fuck was that? holy crap. i think i got hit in the eye by a bit of the driver when he got pasted by the .50 cal.

wow. i really hope they manage to make this work; if i can be half as pleased by this film as i was by rocky balboa, i'll consider it a success.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks