What's new

Rambo IV gets the green light (1 Viewer)

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Rambo III isn't particularly good, but it's enjoyable and thus I'd say it's worth seeing since you've already seen I and II with a IV on the way.

Stallone is answering questions at www.aintitcool.com. 10 per day for 20 days. I sent one in asking how long his hair will be in Rambo IV, but it hasn't been selected yet (if at all).

CoreyII

Second Unit

I have to respectfully disagree. Rambo III is a very underrated action movie. In the third film you get a Rambo who is for the most part is at peace with himself.
He is not driven by vengeance like in the first two movies and Sly smartly sets the film in an entirely different location, so it's not Vietnam being rehashed again and again like in the Missing in Action films with Chuck Norris.

The action sequences are well done. I especially like how Rambo almost effortlessly sneaks into the Soviet fortress. You get to really see how good his stealth skills are. And Sly is agruably at his physical best in Rambo III, the beginning of the Thai stick fight, you get to see how cut and symmetrical he is.

Personally, I think the reason the film didn't do well is because: 1.)in the time between Rambo II and III, there had been so many one man army movies that by the time Sly came back to the genre that he set the standard for, many movie-goers were burnt out. And 2.) I feel that by the time Rambo III hit the theaters the character had been beat up so badly by the media for being an icon of testosterone laden violence that when it came time for the third film many felt the character had become passe'. Many have forgotten that Rambo set the standard for action movies post 1985. As a matter of fact if it wasn't for Rambo's success, there probably wouldn't have been a Die Hard or Lethal Weapon.

Ryan Wishton

Screenwriter
Until this week, I didn't even know a new Rocky movie had been made. That's how "up with the times" I am.

I'll see this Rambo movie one way or another. I personally prefer Rambo over Rocky anyway; I'm more an action guy than a boxer guy. However, I'll have to rent the new Rocky film too, now that I know it exists.

Dan Keefe

Second Unit

Obviously, you have read nothing or seen any interviews with stallone regarding the making of Rocky Balboa. It took almost 7 years to get it grenlighted and Stallone paid for the entire thing himself. Ditto on the new Rambo. The new Rambo, according to Stallone will be more of a life reflection movie than an action movie. Studios don't really believe in Stallone much anymore...when was the last time he had a "hit" movie. Copland was great, but it didn't do great numbers at the box office and unfortunately, that is what most studios look for nowadays.

DavidPla

Senior HTF Member

Which is why I think the new Rambo got into production so fast. "Rocky Balboa" surprised everyone at the Box Office, his biggest hit since "Cliffhanger" proving that he can still draw people in with a good movie.

Mark Hawley

Second Unit
Looks nice and R rated - really R rated! Refreshing!

Hope they incorperate Jerry Goldsmith's work into the actual movie.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Boy, all of the later Rambo movies sure seemed to betray the legacy of the first one. This one doesn't appear to be much different. Guess it might be worth seeing if you want to watch someone being torn apart by a heavy machine gun.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks