What's new

Rambo IV gets the green light (1 Viewer)

DustinLC

Supporting Actor
Come on, how many of you back then during the Stallone, Arnold and Van Damme days went out and hit the weights after seeing one of their movies?

Heck, I still listen to the the Rocky IV soundtrack to workout. No doubt about it, those action guys of the 80's had a much more of an influence on us young men than any of the current guys does on this generation.

For that, I'm grateful :D and gladly be there for Rambo XIX!

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Dustin,
I tend to agree with you on this, and I believe that we have video games to thank for that. In the 80's when I was in school, as soon as I came home I would put on a movie, usually action but not always.

Point is, movies were IT for me and my friends, now when kids come home from school, they're more interested in playing Halo 2 or Gran Turismo 4 than watching a boring old movie that they can't play.

My one friend said something to me once that just made me furious and I still refuse to believe it, he said that games will one day bring about the end of movies because the kids now are more interested in games than movies and it's only going to get worse as time and technology move foreward.

Man, did we argue that point for the longest time! :eek: I will never accept that, never.

SteveCallas

Second Unit
Good thread, you guys ever see No Retreat, No Surrender, where Bruce Lee comes back from the dead to train a teen to fight Van Dam? I really want this one on dvd, used to watch it all the time as a kid.

DustinLC

Supporting Actor

Oh yeah. It was used to pump me up before I go outside and start kicking everything in sight :D.

Ah the memories of cheesy action film of those days.

David Rogers

Supporting Actor

It's not bad, it's progress. Better, it's competition.

One of the best movies I've watched this year was Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas. The tale of CJ, a returned gang banger who is inevitably drawn back into his gang banging ways ... it was a damn fine story that was quite entertaining. Only difference was I got to pick what CJ did between major plot hits.

Last year, Doom3 was one of the top five movies of the year for me; again I just got to choose whether my hero huddled in the corner praying for salvation while thumbing shotgun shells in with sweaty fingers .... or if my hero confidently swept around the corner tightening his fingers on the plasma gun trigger.

Competition is good. Movies went widescreen, Technicolor became more important, simply because television was competing for the movie going audience. It should be good for movie lovers to see what studios do to help ensure the relevance of movies as we go forward. Better, it should help improve the quality of the stories.

DavidPla

Senior HTF Member
"Rambo IV" gets granted a 50 million budget. Stallone says its going back to its original roots, not unlike what he said about "Rocky VI". Looks to be a comeback for Stallone with two of his biggest properties coming back ... or a total failure. I'm hoping on the former as I love both franchises. I'd rather see sequels to these films than remakes. I say bring 'em on.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/topnews.php?id=11748

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I wasn't. Hollywood is FAR too politically correct these days to show anyone taking on an actual real life threat instead of something as safe and "unoffensive" as a manufactured threat by white supremacists.

Marshall W. Carter

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Marshall W. Carter
I know I'll end up watching this at some point, but I've got to admit this preliminary storyline is about as sensible as Jason X's was, or worse...

I don't like the idea, but I hope Stallone comes to his senses. He was able to write (and act actually) once upon a time. He sure as heck didn't deserve being named the worst actor of the 20th centure, that's for sure. He needs to recapture what he's lost, credibility for one thing.

Frankly, Rocky VI seems a better bet at this point...

DanR

Supporting Actor

Really? See, I think the Rocky series became overly sappy and sentimental as it went on. Rambo still had the edge to it, though by the time they came to #3, they overused the one liners a bit.

In any event, what will stink about Rambo IV will be the fact that Richard Crenna (AKA Colonel Trautman) has passed.

Regards,
Dan

Jonny P

Supporting Actor
I'd take a Rambo movie similar to the original "First Blood."

In fact, if you could bring in Brian Dennehy's Will Teasle character (you know, that ultra-conservative sherriff in the Pacific Northwest in "First Blood"), it really might be good.

I'd make Teasle long since retired. I'd put him in charge of the White Supremist group. I don't think that'd be a giant leap at all. In fact, I could see that character as part of such a group.

It might make an interesting revenge tale.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Hmm...that character never struck me as that radical. Galt? Definitely.

Oh, BTW, my dad LOVED First Blood and would watch it endlessly when I was a kid. So much so that I am still able to recite Rambo's monologue at the end. :)

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
What?! Three pages of 80's action movie icons and not one mention of Kurt Russell/ "Snake" Plissken? For shame. I also think 98's Soldierhelped me lose 20lbs. :)

Shawn_KE

Screenwriter
I'd love to see a new Escape from flick if it was original. LA was too much of a rip of New York. But what major city would he Escape from now? Chicago? Plus he shut down the world in LA lol.

As for Rambo, He looks a little too clean shaven in that teaser poster. But yea, I would like something along the lines of the first movie.

Kain_C

Screenwriter
I know this movie cannot possibly work because Goldsmith is gone. I absolutely loved each and every Rambo soundtrack and this movie cannot and will not be the same without them. Rambo II is one of the few soundtracks I consider perfect.

I can understand this completely. I think it's a very underated movie nowadays. It's something about how cold, gray, and drab the setting is. The cloudy and dismal weather just creates such a mood in the movie, and it parallels Rambo's situation nicely. Rambo is nothing more than an animal that has been cornered, and as such, struck out to protect himself as only he knows best.

Mark Hawley

Second Unit

I believe Carpenter said, while promoting Escape From L.A., was that the if there was a third one, it would be "Escape From Earth".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks